By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

Welsh Highland Rly

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
DMB23/07/2019 23:24:01
901 forum posts

Just got back from a few days travelling on the WHR.

What an experience. About 40+ miles each way, narrow gauge steam. One day a pin in the reverser broke just after running light to clear the points and back down on to the train at Porthmadog. By the time a diesel arrived from Boston Lodge works, towed the SAR Garratt back around the train and dumped it on a siding and came back to take the train on to Caernarvon, it was about 70 mins late leaving. Staff previously couldn't get the kitchen car generator started, so they were overheard to say what else can go wrong?

I guess the diesel may not be as powerful as the regular steamer, since it seemed to go slower than a subsequent steam hauled train. One part is around 1 in 40.

I see the concrete block gun emplacement on the track bed near the Aberglaslyn tunnels has been dumped on one side to clear the way. When I saw that many years ago before the rebuilding, I thought it was some sort of blockage to make life harder if we'd had an invasion. Never thought I would live long enough to see trains running again but they had very considerable financial help.

They used a loader at Dinas to coal - up but at Porthmadog, they humped 8 large plastic buckets of coal on to the loco.

Can thoroughly recommend the journey - well worth the effort of going. Just a satisfied customer and like a pig in muck!

Edited By DMB on 23/07/2019 23:26:15

duncan webster24/07/2019 00:19:29
2167 forum posts
27 photos

For another grand day out see Ffestiniog Round Robin, Chester to Shrewsbury to Machynlleth to Portmadoc via the big railway, then Portmadoc to Blaenau on FR then Blaenau to Llandudno Jnct, back to Chester, all for £39 and time for lunch in Spooners bar at Portmadoc. I think you can start anywhere in the loop, see **LINK**

JA24/07/2019 09:17:12
764 forum posts
44 photos

small locomotives.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Advertise With Us
Meridienne Sept 2019
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest