Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

Hi i am new to model engineering

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Allison Medhurst21/07/2019 19:11:23
10 forum posts
2 photos

Hi,

My name is Allison, I live in Newport South Wales.

My husband and i are building a large model railway, and as we are using mainly vintage rolling stock, we decided to try and make some of the spares ourselves.

Today we purchased a small 2nd hand Clarke CL300M lathe with a lot of accessories.

I need to brush up on my engineering skills from my younger days !

Brian H21/07/2019 20:02:10
1173 forum posts
86 photos

Hello Allison and husband, welcome to this excellent forum. What scale is your layout and do you have any pictures? We like pictures!

You are sure to find the answers to any questions about the lathe and other engineering matters, you have but to ask.

Brian

Allison Medhurst21/07/2019 20:23:45
10 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Brian, we are modelling in 00 Gauge, and here is a diagram of the layout we are building.

Baseboards have been laid, and some track laid, but a long time off completion.finalised plan.jpg

Barrie Lever21/07/2019 20:31:40
314 forum posts
55 photos

Alison

What is the area that looks like a ladder? top left of the legend text.

What is the approx. size? Looks like a nice project to work on together.

Regards

Barrie

Allison Medhurst22/07/2019 07:01:27
10 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Barrie,

The layout is being built in the loft, and the area you have mentioned is the top of the loft ladder.

The approximate size is 4.8M x 3.7M.

We converted the loft especially for the layout, (as i wasnt prepared to loose the spare bedroom), and has taken 12 months so far, we have laid the baseboards, and are in the process of laying track.

The layout plan was drawn using AnyRail so the track is scaled, the loft ladder isnt !

Allison

Ron Laden22/07/2019 16:24:37
1201 forum posts
196 photos

Hi Allison

Welcome to the forum, I,m sure any questions you have re your lathe will find answers from forum members, there are a good number of very experienced people here.

I hope you dont mind but can I just mention a couple of points re your layout plan, that is an awful lot of track and would be considered quite complex as layouts go. Nothing wrong with that but have you considered the scenics as there doesnt look to be much space left for adding scenery..? It may be of course you want to concentrate on running trains which is fine but if you do want a scenic layout it is amazing how much space you need for it.

Regards

Ron

3404622/07/2019 16:27:12
580 forum posts
6 photos

Hi Allison.

Looks good and nice to see some variety on the forum

Please do keep up up to date with photos.

Thanks

Bill

Neil Wyatt22/07/2019 21:08:42
16246 forum posts
679 photos
74 articles

Welcome to the forum, Allison.

Nothing too ambitious then!

Here's a few shots of my tiny layout - which is a bit worse for wear at the moment, stored on its end...

Neil

booth rodley 15t c rane 4.jpg

coal staithe.jpg

stub van.jpg

Allison Medhurst23/07/2019 06:49:05
10 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Neil,

Nice looking layout, i am afraid i wont have as much scenery as i would like, we had to come to a compromise, hubby likes playing trains, i like the modelling side,,,, hubby won !

Ron Laden23/07/2019 08:14:10
1201 forum posts
196 photos

Hi Neil, some nice modelling there, good detail and atmosphere, didnt know you had a layout.

Allison, I thought the layout plan looked more towards one for operating trains but there will be a good number of small areas where you can add your scenics, keep us updated as it progresses.

Ron

Daniel23/07/2019 08:31:09
220 forum posts
39 photos

+1 for the layout Neil

yes

Allison Medhurst23/07/2019 09:00:48
10 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Ron, yes i intend to build certain areas with a lot of detail, like the terminus station, and MPD's which are being built from scratch.

Allison

Del Greco23/07/2019 10:34:03
27 forum posts
10 photos

Wow, that definitely looks like an awesome project.

I've a tiny 009 layout, which is also on its end atm.

Am I right in assuming you are going to be going digital with that quantity of track?

Best of luck with it. I'm definitely interested in seeing pictures as you progress with it.

D

Plasma23/07/2019 11:02:28
325 forum posts
41 photos

I hope it's going to be a comfortable room to work in Allison,

My roof space is boiling in summer and arctic in winter.

Plasma

Allison Medhurst23/07/2019 17:31:24
10 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Plasma,

When we converted the loft we installed 2 x Keylite windows, and went very heavy on insulation, so at the moment its just like a bedroom tempreture wise.

Allison

Allison Medhurst23/07/2019 17:33:41
10 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Del,

Yes we intend to go DCC, at the moment we have around 200 locos / DMU's about a 1/3 are DCC fitted, and the rest will be fitted as time progresses.

Allison

Del Greco30/07/2019 10:09:36
27 forum posts
10 photos
Posted by Allison Medhurst on 23/07/2019 17:33:41:

Hi Del,

Yes we intend to go DCC, at the moment we have around 200 locos / DMU's about a 1/3 are DCC fitted, and the rest will be fitted as time progresses.

Allison

That sounds awesome. I only have 4 but all are DCC, However, my layout is only big enough for 3 of them.

I hope the progress is coming along nicely.

Del

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Advertise With Us
Meridienne Sept 2019
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest