What lathes have you had?

What did you start with and what is your current lathe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jim Guthrie21/07/2019 18:24:29
91 forum posts
5 photos

Quite a short list compared to some so far. blush

Started with a very old ML2 bought for £10 which taught me what to look out for. angel

Super Adept - which taught me how to centre quickly in a four jaw. angel

ML10 bought in Ted Heath's year of the three day week

Cowells ME90

The ML10 is still my favourite although the Cowells gets preferred since it is inside. angel

Jim.

John Haine21/07/2019 18:31:38
2573 forum posts
133 photos

Hobbymat, Warco 220, now a Super 7 - latter much the best but if buying again would probably go Chinese or a s/h Denford Orac (since have converted S7 to CNC).

Brian Wood21/07/2019 18:33:56
1929 forum posts
37 photos

Myford ML4 inherited when Dad died. Sold to buy----

A good Myford ML7 from a trusted friend. That was a good lathe but sold to buy----

Another good Myford ML7 R, which I still have and use. It is much modified.

Smart and Brown Sabel---a nice one and I use it

Churchill Cub, a rescue project recently taken in hand. It will be good when it is done

Brian.

Edited By Brian Wood on 21/07/2019 18:35:25

George Jervis21/07/2019 18:58:38
55 forum posts
56 photos

Hi everyone

I started with a lathe called the IDEAL which my dad taught me on 30 years ago I still have it and have restored it, I don't really use it but can't bring myself to part with now he's not around anymore.

Then a RELMAC another basic lathe and a rescue project from a local farmer that was going to scrape it it served its purpose at the time.I then upgraded to a Atlas ( sphere ), one of the worst things and the biggest mistake I ever brought, I'd been told it was a okay lathe but when I got it it had been parted out and was a bag of nails

I am now proudly own and use daily a Raglan little John Mk2 with a QCGB I would never change my lathe for love nor money, unless it was for another raglan little John mk2 it may be old (1954) but in (my own opinion) one of the best lathes ever and punches well above its weight for its size.

George

Gray21/07/2019 19:04:46
994 forum posts
8 photos

Chester Cobra combi machine

Chester Model B - regretted from day 1

Myford ML7, never used bought, refurbished and sold to fund other projects

Warco WMT300/2 (the one without the mill head, good machine and often regretted selling on

Warco GH1330, 15 years old and still giving good service

Warco WM250V - 4 years old and still waiting for its CNC or ELS conversion (not decided which yet)

JC5421/07/2019 19:19:42
93 forum posts
1 photos

My first lathe was a 1906-8? 5inch split bed Drummond, still got. Then a much modified Drummond/Myford "M" just sold to make way for an inherited Myford ML7. I wish that I had kept the "M", just hate the ML7. I expect to see the burning crosses out front for speaking such heressy.....wink

Plasma21/07/2019 19:20:07
325 forum posts
41 photos

Warco model not recalled but it got me started

Raglan 5 inch

Raglan loughborough

Boxford X10 times 2 current

Elgo capstan lathe current

Smart and Brown model L current

Hopefully no more to come lol

peak421/07/2019 19:26:26
782 forum posts
67 photos

Simat 101

Myford Super 7 pre power x-feed (bitsa, had previously been dropped)

Warco 720 (Myford Super 7B power x-feed) I'd really like to find someone else with one of these.

Warco 1330

Not sold any yet and also have my Dad's Record wood lathe, though I've not used it up to press.

Bill

Edited By peak4 on 21/07/2019 19:26:53

charadam21/07/2019 19:41:54
176 forum posts
6 photos

I started out with a Perris. That lasted a year and was replaced by an ML10.

The ML10 was well-worn and not up to what I wanted, so an ML7 came into the workshop.

Then I was offered a Chipmaster (one of the lathes that I had trained on) and that is still my workhorse.

Phil P21/07/2019 19:55:22
485 forum posts
128 photos

Myford ML2

Myford ML4

Unimat SL

Myford ML7

Krak (antique treadle lathe made by Parkinsons Shipley)

Pultra model P

Harrison L5A

Myford S7

Pultra 1750

Boley watch lathe

Still got the last four

Phil

John Reese21/07/2019 20:14:19
768 forum posts

Chronologically:

1. South Bend 9", well tooled. Gone

2. South Bend 10K, almost every accessory. Still have it.

3. Pratt & Whitney 14" x 30". Had been to England and back. Gone

4. Lehmann 20" x 120". Gone

5. Myford Mini-Kop. Gone

6. Warner & Swasey 1A. Gone

7. Clausing Metosa 13" x 30". Gone

8. Unknown 8mm watchmaker's lathe. Still have it.

9. Nardni 16" x 40". Still have it.

Mark Rand21/07/2019 21:48:54
729 forum posts

Myford long bed ML7B with clutch that dad claimed to have bought for my 10th birthday in 1967...

Short bed ML7 basket case that I bought in 2000. Got Myfords to re-grind the bed and rebuilt the rest of it. Fitted an inverter bought from John Stevenson to go with a decent 3ph motor. Sold it in 2008 after I inherited the ML7B.

Dad died on Christmas Eve 2003 and I inherited the Myford plus a Hardinge DV59. Never used the Hardinge and it eventually got scrapped!

1952 Hardinge HLV bought in 2006. Rebuilt over four years, using the Myford to re-manufacture all of the apron gearbox shafts and gears. It is my current every-day lathe.

Ian P21/07/2019 22:17:22
2111 forum posts
89 photos

I saved pocket money and bought a (round bed) Wade (with no tailstock) just after I left school late 50s. I powered it using my mums sewing machine treadle, I never made anything of real use with it and a neighbour I loaned it to never returned it.

I bought a new Emco SL in the 60s which in spite of being flimsy produced good work and lasted me until I acquired a Raglan Little John in the 80s. I rebuilt it but had to sell it due to a house move problem and ended up latheless for several years.

I then bought a Boxford AUD with VFD etc. I sold it about three years ago because for one job I needed to turn 11" rather than the Boxford 10" and bought a well kitted Harrison M250.

The Harrison is good but I miss the AUD, the Boxford punches well above its weight and is a really versatile machine.

IanP

thaiguzzi22/07/2019 06:48:59
540 forum posts
130 photos
Posted by RJW on 21/07/2019 17:07:18:

1st ever lathe was a Boxford CUD, back int' pre internet days when lathes were bought and sold via Exchange & Mart, major cack handed screw up one day and somehow stripped the teeth off the mainshaft gear :/

Myford ML7, one owner from new, beautiful well maintained machine, and the one I Really should have kept,

Star 8mm Watchmaker's lathe, smallest workhorse with good range of accessories, (still use)

Boley 8mm Watchmaker's lathe, bought from estate of 1st Myford (Stalag VIIb inscription in box lid & a keeper)

Myford ML7 bought from late friend when he was needing to shut up shop, needs a lot of fettling (still use)

Unimat 1, found it to be a fiddle to use and flimsy, didn't like it at all and got rid,

Unimat 3 + milling head & attachments, not a bad bit of kit, but asset stripped it for insane money which paid for my Cowells 90 & kit

Sieg C1 + M1 mill, many mod's and tweaks to that machine and half decent if you weren't in a hurry, (sold last week)

Cowells 90 with good range of accessories (overhauled and still use)

oh how true - Exchange & Mart - remember those times well scouring the ads.

Mine;

Flexispeed/Simat/Norfolk - what got me interested in lathes.

1966 Colchester roundhead Student 6" (my favourite - should never have sold it)

196? Colchester roundhead Triumph 7 1/2"

1969 fully tooled Boxford VSL (current).

Joseph Noci 122/07/2019 09:42:49
514 forum posts
829 photos

Started with a lovely Boxford AUD, fully kitted, purchased by my Dad . Dad was a Cabinet Maker, and worked at Link Belt Africa Limited in South Africa and the toolroom was to die for..Although I was a little to young to know it..They purchased a Schaublin and the Boxford was 'surplus' - for R1000.00, in 1968 ( about £500.00 then).

I was 11 then...

At 22 years old I bought a Chinese unknown, bigger than the AUD, and sold it again within a month.

Then a good condition EMCO Maximat V10P, which I still have after 40 years and recently refurbished totally, added ELS, etc. And 2 years ago purchased a new EMCO 14D..

Sold the AUD a year after the V10 purchase

These two lathes are a pleasure to use...

V10

v10 oblique left2.jpg

14D

oblique.jpg

EDIT - forgot to add...Watchmakers lathe that belonged to my late Father-in-Law - Ashamed to admit I have only cleaned it up and not yet used it..

watchmakers lathe.jpg

Joe

Edited By Joseph Noci 1 on 22/07/2019 09:59:14

Jon Freeman 222/07/2019 11:39:12
8 forum posts

Bought a Myford ML7 new while still at school - up at 4.am every day doing several paper-rounds to pay for it.

Carried this around for over 40 years, then bought a 'Chester Challenger', the idea was to carry on doing small stuff on the Myford. After a year or so it was apparent the Challenger was being used for all jobs of all sizes, sold Myford.

Andy Carruthers22/07/2019 11:54:12
249 forum posts
23 photos

WM180 - Somewhat modified and my regular use lathe

WM240 - Need to fix or replace the motor and I expect this will either be sold or become my regular use machine

I will upgrade one to ELS when Clough42 produces his kit

Mick Dobson22/07/2019 12:34:28
16 forum posts
6 photos

Unimat SL. Got this about 1981, still going strong. I made a high level tailstock and raising block for the headstock for larger jobs when needed. But normally use as standard.

Myford ML4. For a couple of years.

Myford ML7B. Great machine and quite versatile, surprising what these will do as long as they are decent condition.

Chester Coventry gearhead (same as a Warco 1332), bought new in 1997. This is a green Chester, before they changed colour to grey. My main lathe and very good at most things. But not Colchester or Harrison quality.

Myford ML7 Trileva and Portass Dreadnought , bought as a job lot.

I sold the Trileva and the original ML7B and kept the Portass Dreadnought instead. All the main parts have the maker's stamp identifier. I made a longer cross slide for this as well as a new set up for the motor and countershaft. Also modified the headstock to a Myford nose register so that popular accessories will fit.

larry phelan 122/07/2019 12:50:57
458 forum posts
11 photos

I am afraid I score very badly on this one, since I have had and still have only one lathe, a Chester Craftsman long bed. Since I am still learning and time is not on my side, I doubt if I will ever get another lathe, as this one does all I need and is very understanding re my lack of skills.sadsad

Nigel Bennett22/07/2019 16:28:37
292 forum posts
11 photos

Got a bank loan at 18 to buy a Zyto lathe for £45. I recall making some cardboard dials for the cross slide.

Sold it and got an ML7. Sold that for £750 to buy a Super 7 for the same price! Still have it; I went to Nottingham to buy a gearbox and QC tooling several years ago.

Unimat 3, which seldom gets used other than mounting the head on a post on the Myford cross slide.

Boxford 280, which is a lovely machine, very under-rated. Designed by the same chap who designed the Harrison M300, I understand. Plan was to sell the S7 to pay for it, but a windfall meant that I could keep them both; it’s just a bit of a squeeze in the shed now. Great to have an Imperial and a metric lathe.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest