By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 11th

Adjusting lathe md65

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Hans Mol19/07/2019 16:09:56
4 forum posts

Hi, I justpurchased an old hobbymat md65.

first of all it was full of debry, old grease etc and the chissle support did not move with the spindle so i took it apart to clean and oil.

now it is working again but i have some questions about it.

the tailstock and the chissle support came with a halfround piece of plastic which was inserted on top of the flat part of the round support bed. It is logic to me but not on any partsdrawing i found. Do i need them?

the chissle support can move a lot around the support bed,until it ends at the flatbar. I adjusted the alan screws according to the manual but it gives me two possibilities:

the support is very hard to move with the handwheel (almost impossible)

or

the support moves around the support bed

what on earth do i do wrong or is there maybe a part missing that prevents the support moving around the support bed.

Brian G19/07/2019 18:38:02
586 forum posts
25 photos

I'm sorry I cannot help, but an answer to your post brings it to the top and hopefully it will be seen by somebody who can help.

If you type "Hobbymat" into the Search This Site box at the top right of the page there are over 40 threads about Two of these are about adjustment to the "Saddle" or the "Carriage" which may answer your problem.

**LINK**

**LINK**

Brian

Ian Johnson 119/07/2019 19:32:56
137 forum posts
32 photos

I have a Hobbymat MD65, not used it for years though! Without getting the lathe out of the shed I seem to remember there are locking screws to hold the carriage in place. Hobbymat used a weird locking system where the screw is tightened up to slacken the carriage and undone to tighten up the carriage.

If I get chance I'll dig out the Hobbymat and have a look

Ian

Nicholas Farr19/07/2019 20:44:35
1975 forum posts
936 photos

Hi Hans, you do need the half-round plastic pieces in both the carriage and the tailstock, they prevent them from turning on the flat topped lathe bed. They are not separate spare parts and should be physically retained in place. Take a look at the top link in Brian G's post and it should give you a good idea of what you need.

Regards Nick.

Bazyle19/07/2019 23:00:39
4717 forum posts
186 photos

For adjusting both the saddle and the tailstock fit there are bolts that screw in from the back. One is a 'forcing screw' and pushes the joint apart and the other(s) pull it closed. You have to adjust these together in small increments. You cannot do one up tight and then correct its effect by using a big wrench on the other. It is difficult and fiddly to get smooth.

Hans Mol20/07/2019 10:12:21
4 forum posts

Hello

thanks for the very fast reply but the problem is not solved yet. It is difficult to explain exactely what is the matter but i will try.

the support bar is a flattened round bar and on top on the flat bar is a plastic flattened round bar.

this makes the support bar round on the location of the support.

the hole in the support is round and can be tightened with the three screws.

but the support rotates around the support bar with the plastic about 10 degr. Left and right (looking from the back)

i should think the plastic has to be attaced to the support to prevent the rotation but i have no clou how.

when i tighten the support with the screws, it does not rotate anymore, but also it is impossible to move it.

should the plastic be connected to the support an how

or is there another way.

thanks for the help

Nicholas Farr20/07/2019 12:20:38
1975 forum posts
936 photos

Hi Hans, not quite sure what you are trying to say, but a plastic half round part should be fitted inside both the tailstock and the carriage, the full length of the bore. The photo below shows the tailstock, looking though the bore of the tailstock, showing the position of the plastic part. The tailstock is in the upside down position in this photo.

cimg2697 (768x1024).jpg

Below is the one in the carriage, in position. It is these that stop them rotating on the bed.

cimg2698 (1024x768).jpg

Hope this helps, but if not, a photo may help us to understand your problem.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 20/07/2019 12:25:11

Hans Mol20/07/2019 12:50:43
4 forum posts

Hello

all solved thans to this forum

i used the two pieces of plastic and drilled two holes in the support through the plastic.

then inserted 2 steel expandable pins in the support intomthe plastic.

also used some two component glue

this all prevented the rotation of the support around the bed

thanks

Nicholas Farr21/07/2019 09:05:46
1975 forum posts
936 photos

Hi Hans, I see, the same problem that Barry had. Pleased you've got it sorted.

Regards Nick.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne oct 2019
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
cowbells
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest