Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

TTFN

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Graham Williams 1118/08/2019 12:41:23
17 forum posts
4 photos

Good to have you back on the Forum. Any chance you'd like to comment on my gear cutting query under Velocette on here. Had lots of input and going to try a couple of things out but your input would be gratefully received.

Graham W

Ian S C18/08/2019 12:58:48
7440 forum posts
230 photos

Good to see you back Andrew, keep the wind under the wings of the Pawnee, and let us know how the traction engines are coming along every now and then. this one at the local model aircraft flying strip was doing some glider towing

Ian S C

dsc00940 (640x480).jpg

Roderick Jenkins18/08/2019 13:05:38
1775 forum posts
456 photos

smiley

Right, now about these Velocette gears...

Neil Wyatt18/08/2019 13:41:05
16432 forum posts
685 photos
74 articles

Truth is, he finally finished filling in all those b^$&& PPI forms...

Neil

Andrew Johnston19/08/2019 11:19:55
4778 forum posts
538 photos
Posted by Ian S C on 18/08/2019 12:58:48:

Good to see you back Andrew, keep the wind under the wings of the Pawnee..............

Thanks for the welcome back one and all.

Man, I miss the Pawnee - really liked flying it. I much prefer to fly tailwheel. But sadly it had to go for cost reasons. One, there are ADs out on the wing fittings meaning the wings have to be taken off and the fittings crack tested at regular intervals. The initial problems were caused by the nasty chemicals used in spraying. But even if you don't spray you still have to do the ADs. Two was fuel consumption. Being a flat six rather than four all things being equal it drank 50% more fuel than the other tug. I flew the Robin DR400 on Saturday as duty tug pilot. There was a local club competition, so I did eleven tows on the trot before refuelling. Most tows were to 2000ft, one to 3000ft and couple of chancers went to 2400ft, giving a total of almost 24000ft. On refueling I put in 13.5 gallons. That's just over half a gallon per thousand feet. Nio way the Pawnee could compete with that.

Andrew

Nicholas Farr19/08/2019 11:25:03
1941 forum posts
922 photos

Hi Andrew, yes welcome back. Knew you couldn't resist Fagin's song charm devil

Regards Nick.

Ian S C19/08/2019 16:38:53
7440 forum posts
230 photos

Andrew, perhaps you need something like a Piper PA 18 with about 150hp up front. Things are much slower, and not so much fun. I used to like watching the gliders getting towed up by Tigermoth, when I was just a wee chap. The local glider club uses air tow, but also has a winch.

Ian S C

Ian Welford19/08/2019 21:26:08
279 forum posts

Welcome back.

On the gliding front - watched an aborted winch launch on Sunday, first time ( in 25 years) I’ve seen one abort on take off. Tail wind led to th decision apparent all were well, safely grounded it.

Ian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne oct 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest