Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

Accessing Digital Issues

Adobe Flash ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Fallert17/07/2019 20:35:22
79 forum posts
3 photos

I can access the latest MEW editions, but nothing older (6 issues).

I have been a dual subscriber (print and digital) for several years. No real problem until now.

I can see the listing and see MEW Covers back to #1, but when I click on them the "you need Adobe Flash" flags come up, I click and click again to "Run Once", but no response.

I checked with Microsoft and they claim Adobe Flash is "embedded" in Win10 now and you need to use EDGE and go advanced and enable Flash, which I did and repeated the process, to no avail.

I am suspecting that there might be a newer MEW access program which I have not received.

Thank you for any help.

Paul

JasonB17/07/2019 20:50:00
15737 forum posts
1646 photos
1 articles

It's something at your end as I have just logged in as you and can view older issues. I tend to use Chrome but hopefully an Edge user may come up with a suggestion.

Paul Lousick18/07/2019 04:26:21
1126 forum posts
485 photos

I use Firefox on Windows 7 and can access the MEW archives. It did prompt me to update Adobe Flash but I clicked on the "-" icon to not update and it opened in my old Flash.

I do not like the way Adobe prompts you every month or so to update their software and normally ignore the message. There are also scam programs that use Flase updates to install viruses on your computer so check first where the message originates.

Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 18/07/2019 04:27:04

XD 35119/07/2019 01:41:42
1295 forum posts
111 photos

I had a play this morning and get the same thing telling me i need adobe flash and if i click that icon the allow once window pops up and i then click that , the magazine loaded ok and i was able to do this going back a couple of years of editions . I’m wondering if your internet security settings may be stopping the flash player from loading the magazine ? Apparently this rigmarole is the norm with Edge and you have to go through this every time you want to read the magazine , i would switch browsers - i use Chrome and have no issues reading the magazine .

Edge uses bing as its search engine and apparently you can change this in settings >advanced > bottom of this list > change search provider . I couldn’t do it because it only shows bing ( default ) on my pc . I then re read the instructions and you have to use bing to open the web page of the browser you wish Edge to use so the URL is in the search pane ( www.google.com )and it will appear in the list below bing as default , i changed it to chrome and logged into the mew site to see if it made a difference - nothing changed. It would appear to me that windows disables adobe flash until you give it permission to use it , i even went into the app settings to change what Edge uses as default programmes but this made no difference either .

Bandersnatch19/07/2019 02:03:10
1201 forum posts
40 photos

Firefox has a number of settings for Flash:

- Permanently Off (initial default for FF these days)

- Permanently On

- On demand .... in which case you have a choice of "this time only" or "always for this site"

Does Edge not have similar settings?

XD 35119/07/2019 02:45:05
1295 forum posts
111 photos

It does but even with it turned on in settings it still needs confirmation that you want to get adobe flash , when i was playing around trying different search engines the instructions had a little icon to check flash player which returned the message that flash player is disabled even though the settings icon was turned on .

Under the flash player on/ off icon there is a little message stating that if you want safer browsing turn flash player off so i am thinking that a recent update has disabled flash player by default until you enable it when you try to read the magazine and this on/off icon now does nothing .

I am wondering if the problem viewing the magazine after clicking the get flash player icon could be something to do with either the windows firewall or the internet security programme settings , maybe something simple like cookie settings or the smart screen settings ?

Have a look in settings > network &internet> windows firewall> app & browser control to see if any settins are set to block - default is warn so maybe something there .

Michael Gilligan19/07/2019 07:41:45
13544 forum posts
586 photos
Posted by XD 351 on 19/07/2019 02:45:05:

Under the flash player on/ off icon there is a little message stating that if you want safer browsing turn flash player off so i am thinking that a recent update has disabled flash player by default until you enable it

Probably true

It looks like the world is finally realising that Steve Jobs was serious when he wrote this: **LINK**

https://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

MichaelG.

Paul Fallert19/07/2019 17:21:27
79 forum posts
3 photos

I must thank all of you for your thoughtful responses.

So far, the only thing that works is to install Firefox, which I needed to remove about a month ago in order to fix a conflict.

Looking through the Internet Security settings, I cannot recognize any entry linked to MEW.

Does anyone know what I should be looking for? There are 100 entries. For example there is an iscsi service, which when I looked it up is a MS connector for a SCSI hardware device. And LMI_rescue.exe is a "CHAT" enabler that my Internet Service Provider installed to assist me with an upgrade last week.

Has anyone made a change to EDGE that worked?

Paul

Neil Wyatt20/07/2019 11:41:31
16246 forum posts
679 photos
74 articles

There are alternatives to flash, you may want to try one instead.

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest