Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

Any other business?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cornish Jack15/07/2019 19:11:59
912 forum posts
120 photos

A recent (now closed ) thread contained a block graph purporting to show the causes of aircraft accidents and apportioning the majority to 'pilot error'. While it is arguable that that term is applicable in a number of cases, it is also a 'catch-all' get-out for AAIB et al to cover 'cause not known' incidents, It is, for instance, arguable that the recent 737 Max 8 tragedies were 'pilot error' in that they failed to control an aircraft, fully serviceable apart from one designed-in anomaly. It is an area which requires more than usual caution in coming to conclusions.

Just a note for S O Ds graphic title writer - Woodworkers are possibly dangerous creatures but their tools (planes) are relatively safe. AEROplanes, (or aircraft) however, can be a different kettle of fish.

rgds

Bill

Vic15/07/2019 20:10:33
2173 forum posts
10 photos

I’ve watched many of the Air Crash Investigation programmes on TV. One accident happened because everyone suffocated. Incredulously there is a switch in the cockpit that effectively turns the air supply off. The switch was set to manual instead of auto during maintenance but the pilots failed to notice it.

The flight crew overlooked the pressurisation system state on three separate occasions”

**LINK**

I found the TV series very interesting. Most of the crashes were due to pilot error, poor design or inadequate servicing as I remember.

Cornish Jack15/07/2019 21:27:47
912 forum posts
120 photos

Vic - the accident you refer to was a function of something which is not limited to flyght crew. Car drivers experience similar; if you make the same journey many times, how often do you suddenly reakise that you cannot recall bits of the journey? It's the repetition trick. If you do something over and over again, after a while it becomes automatic and you see and do what you want to see and do without conscious thought. When you do the pre-start/taxi/takeoff checks day-in, day-out and the panels are always correctly set, it takes a mighty effort of will to recognise something out of kilter. Oddly, I suppose that one answer would be for the engineers to deliberately misposiyion the switches/ circuit breakers etc. on every turn round ... not very practical!

The actual solution is a complete, undeviating adherence to check lists - nothing from memory! That's a mantra that stays with me,having nearly ended in the undershoot of an Eastern airport with a Captain who "can't be bothered with those things"

rgds

Bill

Peter G. Shaw16/07/2019 09:41:24
967 forum posts
39 photos

Auto-pilot! Happens to me quite frequently, especially when walking a set route. Mind you, I do not like walking, I find it boring, and only do it for health reasons.

But the funniest event that I experienced was when going to pick up the then girl friend. I found myself a good half-mile past her house! Maybe my sub-concious was trying to tell me something as we did, eventually, part company.

Peter G. Shaw

Circlip16/07/2019 10:39:52
961 forum posts

"The actual solution is a complete, undeviating adherence to check lists - nothing from memory!"

Pity the operators at a local chemical company didn't do this, despite the manager informing us at a residents liaison group meeting that ALL manufacturing processes had an "Idiot" sheet for the operators to follow. A fire resulting from one such "Standard" non experimental process had to be extinguished by the site fire brigade. On deep questioning, the process managed admitted it was due to "The non timely turning on if a cooling fan" Red face when I commented "So much fir the idiot sheet???"

Used to attend these meetings (three monthly) for twelve years before boredom set in listening to feeble excuses for "Occurrences"

Regards Ian.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Advertise With Us
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Meridienne Sept 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest