By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

Cable Gland?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Vic13/07/2019 15:02:38
2373 forum posts
12 photos

I want to install a temperature probe into a water inlet pipe. The probe is 4mm diameter but the wire itself is a figure 8 cable about 1.5mm x .75mm. Are there any cable glands that can deal with this? Water pressure is low and the gland can go into an alloy manifold. 1/4” or 3/8” BSP would be good for the gland body.

Speedy Builder513/07/2019 15:09:02
1863 forum posts
130 photos

Does the probe need to be in the water, or could it be in a pocket that is in the water ? Alternatively, can the gland grip the 4mm diameter probe instead of the cable ?


Frances IoM13/07/2019 16:57:33
669 forum posts
24 photos
why not make a top hat out of copper (or ali) that can be fitted into a standard T junction and reach down into the water with the temp sensor tightly fitted into drilled holes into top of the T possibly packed with thermal paste if sloppy fitting - the top hat is so will seal when fitted into the T junction

Edited By Frances IoM on 13/07/2019 16:58:26

Vic13/07/2019 17:38:00
2373 forum posts
12 photos

The probe could just be inserted into the tank but I thought things would look neater If the probe was hidden in the pipe. They sell 12mm x 1.5mm cable glands but the minimum cable size is 3.5mm. I do have some silicon cord though some I’m wondering if I can make a suitable packing piece? Being able to remove the probe periodically for cleaning purposes is also a requirement.

Bazyle13/07/2019 18:53:13
4844 forum posts
191 photos

Work out where on the wire you need the gland to be then fit a small piece of tube there using a suitable eg silicone sealant filler. if you think the flexing wire might break the seal make the tube longer, seal one end to the wire, fill up with a non setting or softer glue, then seal the other end.

V8Eng13/07/2019 19:08:32
1329 forum posts
28 photos

If I read this correctly it appears that you are proposing to immerse the whole assembly with just the cable exiting via the gland (sorry if I misread that).

If that is correct: have you checked that probe to cable interface is suitably sealed for that purpose, also do you know if the cable itself is suitable for continuous immersion?

Edited By V8Eng on 13/07/2019 19:08:49

Boiler Bri13/07/2019 20:35:06
813 forum posts
287 photos

Hi. Atex rated glands will do the job. They have o rings on the gland threads and seal to be safe on the cable. You have to machine cut the holes in whatever your fitting them into so its a tolleranced fit

I have loads. Pm me if you want a few sending. I would need to know what size cable you are using ?


not done it yet14/07/2019 07:54:06
3736 forum posts
15 photos

If it is the common ‘K type’ transducer get another that can be sealed, is my suggestion.

Edited By not done it yet on 14/07/2019 07:54:38

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest