Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

Stub Mandrel in Aluminium

WIll it work

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Iain Downs11/07/2019 18:26:00
516 forum posts
397 photos

I want to turn the back side of my flywheel (1 inch deep, 6 inch across) mounting it on a stub mandrel.

It has a 22mm bore.

I have no steel around that size, but I do have a piece of 25mm aluminium bar which could be pressed to service.

Is that a good idea? Or is it to soft?

Just to add a note, I then need to turn it round and finish off the first side so it needs to go on twice.

Thanks

Iain

Michael Gilligan11/07/2019 18:40:15
14264 forum posts
627 photos
Posted by Iain Downs on 11/07/2019 18:26:00:

I want to turn the back side of my flywheel (1 inch deep, 6 inch across) mounting it on a stub mandrel.

It has a 22mm bore.

I have no steel around that size, but I do have a piece of 25mm aluminium bar which could be pressed to service.

Is that a good idea? Or is it to soft?

Just to add a note, I then need to turn it round and finish off the first side so it needs to go on twice.

Thanks

Iain

If you really mean Aluminium, Iain ... then yes it's probably too soft

But if [as I suspect] it's an extruded hard alloy then it could well be O.K.

... First test would be to see how cleanly it turns.

MichaelG.

JasonB11/07/2019 18:45:12
16561 forum posts
1765 photos
1 articles

Have you thought of holding it by the inside of the rim, you will get less vibration/chatter than is likely on a mandrel

Iain Downs11/07/2019 20:02:43
516 forum posts
397 photos

It's not pure aluminium - I had some of that a while back and it was HORRID to work.

It turns very very nicely. Much better finish that steel or cast with more or less any tool.

I hadn't thought of holding it by the inside of the rim. I'm not convinced that the chucks I've got extend that far.

However, it's worth giving it a go. Chatter is a problem with my machine pretty much all the time, so no need to make it worse!

Iain

JasonB11/07/2019 20:12:15
16561 forum posts
1765 photos
1 articles

You should be able to do it with the jaws reversed and still have plenty of jaw in the chuck body

Iain Downs15/07/2019 21:08:16
516 forum posts
397 photos

I did as suggested and just about the other side sorted out. The wheel was about 0.1 mm off centre held in the 3 jaw on the inside.

After taking off the bulk of the metal this way, I reverted to the aluminium stub mandrel to finish back to more accuracy and it worked a treat.

More details on my build log...

Iain

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest