Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Is it bad practice to lock my Myford lathe using the slow speed lever

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Butler25/06/2019 13:49:55
82 forum posts
1 photos

I use a piece of large AF hex formed to resemble a large allen key which I grip tightly in the chuck a tap with a hide mallet frees it off nicely. A piece of flat secured (bolted) to a face plate achieve the same end without engaging the back gear.

Robert Butler

Edited By Robert Butler on 25/06/2019 13:50:29

Gordon A25/06/2019 21:30:26
142 forum posts
4 photos

The advice from an original Myford manual is as follows:

"When removing a chuck (or faceplate), do not 'yank' the chuck off with the headstock locked with the back-gear,, but set the headstock for normal back-gear drive, and after placing a piece of hardwood on the lathe bed, pull the spindle round by means of the belt so that one jaw of the chuck or slot in the faceplate strikes the wood sharply. The most obstinate chuck is released in this way, and a great deal of the load is taken from the back-gear teeth".

Myford ML7 Notes on Operation, Installation and Maintenance (No 720G , M. 3M /11/64)

A method I do not recommend is that if you have a 3 phase inverter drive that is to set a short braking time and run a 9" faceplate (anything else heavy for that matter). The spindle stops very quickly but the faceplate doesn't which necessitates some nifty footwork!! Needless to say the inverter is now set to coast to a stop. Minor damage and no injury but lesson learnt.

BW25/06/2019 22:29:57
245 forum posts
40 photos

See the "Sparey Spanner" discussed in this thread by ega.

Bill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridenne Boat 2019
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest