Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Mill spindle speed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
FatWelshBoy22/06/2019 22:28:20
32 forum posts
10 photos

I have an AMA25LV mill that's been fitted with an Adleepower AM-370H motor and controller. The motor will do 6000 rpm so the bearings were also upgraded. I'm going to change the pulley on the spindle to lower the top speed and increase the torque as it struggled when a 9mm drill was breaking through a piece of 15mm thick mild steel. The motor controller can possibly be reprogrammed but I'm baffled by the instructions so will stick to changing the pulley. Anyway, what would be a good top speed to shoot for? I think the highest speed I've ever dialed up to was around 4k rpm so would 4.5k rpm be a good top speed or would 3k rpm be more suited to the machine?

Thanks.

Chris.

Thor23/06/2019 05:19:04
1120 forum posts
31 photos

Hi Chris,

Interesting modification you have made, any chance of a few photos? The top speed depends a bit on the diameter of the cutters you intend to use. Small diameter carbide cutters need a high speed so 4k to 5k rpm might suit you. The smallest cutters I have are 1.5mm HSS and the 2.5k top speed of my milling works OK as long as the feed rate is suitable. I often use a 63mm face mill so most of the time I use the low setting with a top speed of around 1.5k rpm.

Thor

David George 123/06/2019 08:05:44
916 forum posts
307 photos

Personally I would reduce the spindle speed to 3k but it depends on what you are going to cut. Smaller cutters need higher speed but if you want to use a larger cutter, fly cutter or boring head I would think the power ratio is not useful.

David

Chris Evans 623/06/2019 09:17:28
1478 forum posts

Even with small carbide cutters I only use 2000/2500 RPM lets face it we have the time for the lighter cuts when at home and the mechanical sympathy to the machine wins.

FatWelshBoy23/06/2019 09:38:47
32 forum posts
10 photos

The alterations were made by the previous owner. The biggest cutters I use are about 15mm and the smallest cutters are 5mm for slotting aluminium. I'm going to make a fly cutter and slitting saw arbor in the next couple of weeks so figure more torque will be useful/needed. Hopefully I've attached a couple of pics, things are not put together as I've been measuring up for the new pulley.

Edit: pics are in my album, long time since I used photobucket and pics not displaying. 

Edited By FatWelshBoy on 23/06/2019 09:49:08

David George 123/06/2019 09:50:52
916 forum posts
307 photos

Can't see pictures can you use forum picture download format. It's on top of page in black band, forums then website frequently asked questions and then how to Post pictures .

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=103028

David

Edited By David George 1 on 23/06/2019 09:52:15

Michael Gilligan23/06/2019 11:38:21
14014 forum posts
608 photos
Posted by David George 1 on 23/06/2019 09:50:52:

Can't see pictures can you use forum picture download format. ...

To be going-on with:

**LINK**

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/albums/member_album.asp?a=50930

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne oct 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Warco
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest