Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

Chinese tacho - beware

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
duncan webster20/06/2019 14:05:47
2160 forum posts
27 photos

Many years ago I made an electronic tacho for my lathe, using a design I got from somewhere forgotten in the mists of time. It used a PIC programmed in very arcane code. Works fine, but as it updates very very quickly the last digit flickers, and the display is a bit dull. When I fitted VFD to my milling machine I had to make my own tacho as the only sensible pulley to fit the sensor went at a different speed to the main spindle. That updates more slowly and is OK. Decided eventually to sort out the lathe one, and bought a Chinese tacho, no point making one at that price. Problem is the update rate is so slow it's difficult to adjust the spindle speed. OK if you just want to know what speed it's doing, but when adjusting by the time it updates you've gone way past. Original is now back in place, the new one can wait till I need to just measure rather than adjust something.

Of course I should have just plugged it in before making a very nice box for it to sit in!

Barrie Lever20/06/2019 15:08:11
314 forum posts
55 photos

I feel it is no co-incidence that all of the broken pieces of equipment in my workshop are from the PRC.

Laser cutter, tube cooling pump failed and fried the laser tube.

Chainsaw, clutch failure.

DVM, gave erroneous readings on the mains AC scale (not nice, so smashed that up to save anyone else from danger)

Bag sealer, heating element gone.

Ultrasonic cleaner, just went weak, that is the second one of those.

Lucky I don't use this junk to make a living, if I did I would be even poorer than I am !!

B.

Michael Gilligan20/06/2019 15:32:21
13531 forum posts
586 photos
Posted by Barrie Lever on 20/06/2019 15:08:11:

I feel it is no co-incidence that all of the broken pieces of equipment in my workshop are from the PRC.

If you have an iPad ... Just be careful to not take that into your workshop devil

MichaelG.

XD 35120/06/2019 15:42:54
1295 forum posts
111 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 20/06/2019 15:32:21:

If you have an iPad ... Just be careful to not take that into your workshop devil

MichaelG.

Or just about any other electronic device !

Duncan ,

Did you consider using an Arduino to make your new Tachometer?  - plenty of sketches available and  adjusting the update frequency is simple enough .

Edited By XD 351 on 20/06/2019 15:48:53

Barrie Lever20/06/2019 16:25:59
314 forum posts
55 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 20/06/2019 15:32:21:

MichaelG.

Michael

I would consider an act of bad judgement if I had an iPad wink

I should have qualified my post by saying 'made in the PRC and of unknown provenance'.

My Sony phone made in PRC works well, the laptop that controls my German gantry router is an Acer made in the PRC, I think the bigger companies can just about control the Chinese manufacturers.

You are a wise and learned man, can you name me 5 Chinese brand names in mainstream retail? No meaning or agenda in the question.

Regards

Barrie

Michael Gilligan20/06/2019 16:40:06
13531 forum posts
586 photos

Sorry, Barry ... I was just teasing

Logic:

Statistical analysis would find two commonalities between the broken items in your workshop:

1. They were all made in PRC
  2. They have all entered your workshop

I have no way of knowing which, if either, is causative.

MichaelG.

JasonB20/06/2019 16:43:28
15711 forum posts
1643 photos
1 articles

And the third, you bought them because they were cheaper than a quality brandwink 2

Barrie Lever20/06/2019 16:52:40
314 forum posts
55 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 20/06/2019 16:40:06:

Sorry, Barry ... I was just teasing

Logic:

Statistical analysis would find two commonalities between the broken items in your workshop:

1. They were all made in PRC
  2. They have all entered your workshop

I have no way of knowing which, if either, is causative.

MichaelG.

Michael

Yes maybe my workshop is the problem, you might find me in 20 years time complaining that all of the German equipment is worn out through over use !!

Jason

I do occasionally fall into the trap of getting lured in by cheap junk but not very often, when the DVM went wrong (erroneous readings) I started looking to get a Fluke DVM, I had one of those in a former life and it was very good.

The DVM was a bad mistake as it is quite important on mains testing that it works, the other things are not critical to my business or hobbies so will blend in some decent stuff over the next 12 month's or so.

Thanks for giving me the wake up call.

B.

Michael Gilligan20/06/2019 16:56:20
13531 forum posts
586 photos

surprise

By some remarkable fluke ... I just found this: **LINK**

https://www.made-in-china.com/products-search/hot-china-products/Multimeter_Fluke.html

MichaelG.

Barrie Lever20/06/2019 17:14:50
314 forum posts
55 photos

Michael

Do you think they are ripoffs? Or produced for Fluke?

I have said it before the Chinese can make products that equal the very best in the World but in many cases they have to be forced and cajoled by big companies to do it.

By default they revert to cheap and cheerful. Just not very cheerful for me.

B.

Ron Laden20/06/2019 17:26:29
1190 forum posts
194 photos

Barrie, probably produced for Fluke, most of the top mobile phones and cameras are made in China, like you suggest they can equal the best in the world but like top quality from any part of the world you have to pay for it.

John Smith 1320/06/2019 17:44:51
4 forum posts

I bought a WEN variable speed drilling machine with the same issue that the tacho takes several seconds to catch up with what's happening. I could live with this but the quill is such a sloppy fit that the drill bit blurs at high speed making it unusable for accurate work. I didn't get chance to use this before the 3 month warranty expired. I can see a major rebuild in its future or trip in a skip!!!!

John

Barrie Lever20/06/2019 17:51:10
314 forum posts
55 photos

John

Cut your losses and skip it.

With any luck the next time you see that bit of iron it will be part of a barbeque or fire pit having made it's way back to the mother land in a scrap consignment and been recycled into something non critical !! blush

B.

duncan webster20/06/2019 17:57:53
2160 forum posts
27 photos

Duncan ,

Did you consider using an Arduino to make your new Tachometer? - plenty of sketches available and adjusting the update frequency is simple enough .

Edited By XD 351 on 20/06/2019 15:48:53

Tacho on milling machine is driven by Arduino, it updates 4 times a second. Some of the code is my own work, but as with many Arduino projects you cab crib bits from other stuff o the interweb

john carruthers20/06/2019 18:41:18
593 forum posts
172 photos

Fluke.

Fluke have 3 factories, 2 in PRC and one in Germany.
The Fluke multimeters are tested and callibrated on an instrument made in Deal, Kent, codename 'Baldrick'.
Each factory has 2 such testers.
The main problem in manufacture is the fake parts in the supply chain.
Even the PRC guys get caught out.

old mart20/06/2019 21:48:36
305 forum posts
26 photos

I have Kennametal carbide inserts made in the USA, UK, Germany and China.

ronan walsh20/06/2019 22:56:13
539 forum posts
32 photos

Quite a lot of the large motor manufacturers such as mercedes, BMW etc, have factories in China to make components, or complete cars for those regions. Triumph motorcycles are touted as being made in England, but again a lot is made abroad, Malaysia and India i believe, frames, suspension components, switchgear etc. The design and engines are made in the UK.

So saying anything is rubbish because its chinese, or made in the far east is fraught with danger.

Frances IoM20/06/2019 23:14:52
617 forum posts
22 photos
The Fluke multimeters are tested and callibrated on an instrument .. codename 'Baldrick'.
I guess anything that passes this must be a fluke (always thought they had picked a very poor name for a supposed accurate instrument)
Clive Hartland20/06/2019 23:15:30
2452 forum posts
40 photos

When I had the Ford Granada, 3 times I was stranded because the cut off fuel solenoid failed. By this time I always had 2 or 3 spare in the car. I had one examined and x.rayed and it showed that a bunch of wire was sealed at the top of the solenoid, it was made in Mexico. A long phone call with Ford after sending microscope images elicited that they would replace it for me. Strangely after that I had no more incidents.

Neil Wyatt20/06/2019 23:44:06
16226 forum posts
675 photos
74 articles
Posted by Barrie Lever on 20/06/2019 16:25:59:

You are a wise and learned man, can you name me 5 Chinese brand names in mainstream retail? No meaning or agenda in the question.

Interesting question...

Lenovo and Huawei for a start.

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Advertise With Us
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest