STEPHENSONS THE PLANET LOCOMOTIVE

REVERSING MECHANISM & VALVE GEAR

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Malcolm Lippiatt18/06/2019 16:19:53
4 forum posts
4 photos

Hi,

I'm looking for information on the working & construction of the reversing gear and valve gear of Stephensons PLANET locomotive. I''m unable to get any concrete info from the videos available on youtube and there seems very little written text available.

Weary18/06/2019 18:53:21
292 forum posts

'A Century of Locomotive Building by Robert Stephenson & Co. 1823/1923', by J G H Warren, publisher David and Charles/Heritage ISBN: 978-1-4463-0586-7 has quite a bit of information about these locomotives. Pages 286 & 287 have detail drawings of the valve-gear for the 2-2-0 version. The drawing on page 286 is an elevation and end-view/section drawn at approx. 6mm to the foot, page 287 has various components including some parts for valve-gear drawn at 10mm to the foot and 15mm to the foot. There are also drawings of some of the valve-gear components and layout (I think for the 2-2-0 version) on page 278 drawn at 12mm to the foot. There is also a written description of the valve-gear and working on page 286.

There is a sectioned drawing of the 0-4-0 version showing the valves and valve-gear on page 283 at 6mm to the foot.

There are a number of more general views of the Planet loco's in the book.

All the above drawings are (reduced) copies of period originals from various sources and referenced so that you can go to the original documents if necessary (and if they are accessible!).

I see that the National Railway Museum has a number of 'Planet' drawings dotted around on their listing of drawings available from the Robert Stephenson & Co. archive. These will be copies of original drawings. A look through these may turn-up something useful

Regards & Best of luck,

Phil

V8Eng18/06/2019 19:28:21
1324 forum posts
28 photos

A couple of other ideas that might be worth following up with a quick email or similar:-

I am pretty sure that the Science and Industry Museum in Manchester has a working replica of the Planet so they might be a source of info.

Kind of think the Science Museum in London built a scale model but that was several decades ago.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest