Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

1.1kw motor iffy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Windy05/06/2019 14:10:36
735 forum posts
221 photos

Am maybe answering my own question but would like it verifying or is it something else.

My Warco 600 lathe motor 1.1kw starts and runs in the low belt speeds.

In the high belt speeds it's slow getting up to speed and find to reduce the belt tension with the belt changing lever first helps starting.

As it has two capacitors am I correct to think the start capacitor is faulty or start windings on the way out.

roy entwistle05/06/2019 14:15:48
1021 forum posts

Start capacitor will be cheapest to try first If there is a centiflugal start switch try cleaning the contacts

Roy

John Haine05/06/2019 14:17:54
2591 forum posts
133 photos

Highly unlikely to be the winding, but could be the cap. Has it always been this way? I find when I start my lathe at a high speed pulley setting it takes a few seconds to get up to speed as the oil warms up.

Ian S C06/06/2019 11:33:55
7444 forum posts
230 photos

In winter time(now) my 1326BH lathe is slow at starting in high gear, and remains slow (bit of belt slip), so I drop the belt ratio down and run it for 10/20 minutes until the headstock bearings warm up. I use SAE 30 oil, I maybe should go to a lighter grade in the winter. I doubt if that's your problem Windy, most likely the capacitor.

As an aside, my milling machine has got a capacitor out, and until I can find a new one (300uf), I'm hand starting it which is a bit of a pain. I'll probably need to put three 100 uf caps together.

Ian S C

Windy06/06/2019 13:15:48
735 forum posts
221 photos

Some years ago the motor would not run very well and replaced the run capacitor it worked ok at highest speed as well.

Lately replaced the same run capacitor but found later the high speeds needed caution to get up to speed as slackening belt helped.

Had also checked centrifugal switch so have ordered a start capacitor from China.

I know some are not keen on quality of some oriental products but I have also had some crap UK products that cost a lot more.

AdrianR06/06/2019 18:26:54
272 forum posts
20 photos

Hi Windy,

I have a BH600 and it is exactly the same in high gears. I only recently got it so don't know what it used to be like, but I assumed it is normal for a capacitor start.

Please let me know if your new start capacitor helps.

Adrian

Windy06/06/2019 21:25:34
735 forum posts
221 photos
Posted by AdrianR on 06/06/2019 18:26:54:

Hi Windy,

I have a BH600 and it is exactly the same in high gears. I only recently got it so don't know what it used to be like, but I assumed it is normal for a capacitor start.

Please let me know if your new start capacitor helps.

Adrian

Will do but might be a few weeks before I get the start capacitor

Edited By Windy on 06/06/2019 21:31:14

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Warco
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne oct 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest