By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

Clocks, furniture and tailoring are my current interests

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nigel Watts21/05/2019 10:29:41
26 forum posts

Recently retired, have been restoring clocks for a few years now.

Currently working on a 1710 London bracket clock which is missing about half its original mechanism. Also have plans for a new equation clock.

Current workshop set up includes a Myford ML10 (which my father bought new in the 1970s and never used) and a Cowells lathe which I bought some 15 years ago but have not used much until now. I am a member of a horology club which I attend once a week. Their workshop is well equipped with lathes, wheel cutting engine, milling machines etc so I don't need my own gear cutting set up although it would be nice.

Back in the 1970s I studied engineering but never practiced as an engineer. Have stared learning CAD (Fusion 360) which I am finding invaluable in designing the components for both my projects and producing drawings. Not yet advanced into using computers to drive any machinery however (not sure if I want to mind).

Plasma21/05/2019 13:52:34
331 forum posts
41 photos

Hi Nigel welcome to the busier than when we were working club.

I retired just over two years ago and I'm looking forward to having a rest at some point.

Lots of knowledge on here to mine when you're stuck, good bunch of folks.

Sounds like you're all kitted up

Best regards Mick

Brian H21/05/2019 14:39:28
1194 forum posts
87 photos

Welcome Nigel, as Mick says, "busier than when we were working club", very true!

It's a good idea to give us a very general idea of your location so that others who are nearer can help you and you them.

Like you I've started learning Fusion 360 but am very much a beginner and relying on the support team.

All the best,

Brian

Nigel Watts21/05/2019 20:08:12
26 forum posts

I live in central London and my workshop is a tiny room in the basement underneath the hall into which I have squeezed a full sized cabinetmakers bench, a Myford ML10 (I have had to mount the motor above it for lack of space), a Cowells lathe and shelves and cabinets for all my wood and metal metalworking tools and books. It also has to serve as a corridor to get to the wine cellar under the front steps. My engineers vice and grinder live on shelves and are brought out and bolted to the bench when needed. I am a very untidy worker so there are often times when I can't even get into the room. Needless to say I don't find this arrangement entirely satisfactory and am looking for a larger space!

Bazyle21/05/2019 23:08:00
4688 forum posts
186 photos

In central London you are well placed to join the SMEE and use their workshops, probably got a free bus pass to get there too.

Neil Wyatt22/05/2019 22:24:21
16446 forum posts
686 photos
74 articles

Welcome to the forum Nigel,

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Meridienne oct 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest