Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale May 23

Fake Websites

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian H18/05/2019 13:13:50
1108 forum posts
85 photos

Does anyone else have problems with fake websites?

I'm looking for a milling machine and came across this site :

classified ads elliot milling machine for sale

https://www.kenjevoeding.nl/Nov.../classified-ads-elliot-milling-machine-for-sale.html

Turret milling machine for sale; Used milling machines for sale UK; ... Milling machine ... Elliott Omnimil 00 page 1 Lathes + Machine Tool Archive. Elliott Omnimil ...

If you go to the site they sell rock crushing machinery!!

They are not the only culprits, there are many of them but what do you do about them?

I've sent abusive messages but probably just a waste of my time rather than theirs.

Brian

Cornish Jack18/05/2019 13:27:44
885 forum posts
113 photos

Been around for years and are in the same league as the search results for almost any item, particukarly drivers.

Standard internet rubbish!

rgds

Bill

HOWARDT18/05/2019 14:06:42
415 forum posts
14 photos

Was going to suggest to check that a padlock appears against the web address, making it a secure web site, but having checked a number of links I have most are not secure. Perhaps people with older web sites should check that they have the current required security levels to protect both their site and its visitors.

Bazyle18/05/2019 17:42:30
4542 forum posts
184 photos

It is likely that the original webname was being used as a portal selling small amounts of webspace to people and companies. Then either the whole enterprise moved on or it is still doing that but either way a computer glitch has left the old link still in an active directory responding to the name.

Think of it like a miss-filed sheet of paper.
"Hey why is there still a folder named classified ads in my filing cabinet? It's right next to the one on rock crushers. "
"Oh I need to go through that cabinet clearing it out but I haven't got round to it, but I did chuck out the contents. It should be empty."
" well is isn't empty someone stuck rock crusher stuff in here by mistake for the folder next to it"
"yeah, like I care on what you pay me"

SillyOldDuffer18/05/2019 18:41:29
4318 forum posts
944 photos

I come across this most often when looking for technical manuals. Some sites lie to Google and other search engines about having a large selection. You arrive full of expectation only to find they don't have what you needed, or even anything of interest at all!

I think they fib because they get paid per page view by their advertisers. It pays to lure people on to an advertising site. And not bothering to provide any genuine content is cheap - no research, editorial or copyright fees. Money for nothing;. Not exactly fake, but certainly not honest either. Time-wasters.

Dave

Bazyle18/05/2019 20:27:14
4542 forum posts
184 photos

There is a different type of trick that some 'reputable' UK companies use. Search for roofing sheet suppliers near Swindon and lot and behold several appear to have depots right in town which would be good to avoid delivery charges, But their head offices are in Lancashire or somewhere miles away. Dig a little deeper trying to find just where the depot is and it turns out there is no depot and it is all a front generated by the computer on the fly to make you think it will be a quick and easy delivery.

Basically some websites are generating the site on the fly with suitable words thrown in to look appropriate.

Dave Halford18/05/2019 21:14:18
386 forum posts
3 photos

This used to be done with false local telephone numbers for say, TV repair which is far from local.

Andy Carruthers18/05/2019 21:34:36
229 forum posts
23 photos

The problem is not restricted to any one industry

There are several companies who purport to be local or national locksmith companies who are anything but. Emergency Response Group (ERG), Able and others advertise as national companies with local branches and provide cover via subcontractors. Typically the subbies get 40-50% of the service charge paid 30-60 days after invoice at month end and lumbered with all warranty work FOC

Rockingdodge18/05/2019 21:56:28
84 forum posts
10 photos

Yes those milling machines are for 'milling' minerals and is totally legit, been around for years.

Hopper18/05/2019 23:32:06
3618 forum posts
72 photos

Too many words in the search string and in the wrong order. Prioritises "classified ads" as the primary focus of the search then fills in the gaps with whatever key words match the rest of the string, being "milling machine". You'll get better results if you you just search for "Elliott milling machine".

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest