Forum sponsored by Allendale May 23

aching ribs - posture

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bandersnatch17/05/2019 18:28:12
1165 forum posts
40 photos

Just to buck the trend ....

If it were happening to me, posture isn't the first thing I'd consider. I know when I'm doing fine/finicky work I tend to tense up which leads to clenching of the abdominal/chest muscles. This can lead to a residual ache in that area.

Usually I find some lesser task to do as well to give me frequent breaks.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 17/05/2019 18:29:08

Hopper18/05/2019 00:52:26
3618 forum posts
72 photos
Posted by mick H on 17/05/2019 16:30:25:

I have raised the lathe so that the mandrel is at about 40 inches and this is useful.

That is still about 8 to 10 inches lower than mine, which sits on top of a 40 inch bench, plus two-inch risers. But if you are 5'2" tall it should work

It was a rotten guestimate of mine Hopper. It is my bench that is 40 inches and the lathe mandrel at 50 inches so about the same as yours. I was out and about today in the garden doing allsorts including lifting and some ladderwork without a hint of discomfort. I have an hypothesis forming......I am becoming allergic to model engineering.

Mick

You could try drinking beer and see if that eases the allergy...

Or it might be more a matter of taking breaks, doing stretches or other tasks etc. None of us getting any younger and it is surprising how many hours disappear quickly when involved in a job.

mick H18/05/2019 08:26:34
671 forum posts
19 photos

Hopper/Bandersnatch. Both right. I also have the habit, my wife tells me, of holding my breath when doing finicky bits. That probably doesn't help.

Mick

Bandersnatch18/05/2019 17:35:01
1165 forum posts
40 photos
Posted by mick H on 18/05/2019 08:26:34:

I also have the habit, my wife tells me, of holding my breath when doing finicky bits.

Me too. Not to mention sticking my tongue out blush

pgk pgk18/05/2019 20:38:36
1324 forum posts
278 photos

One suggestion not mentioned is spectacles. Often the reason for hunching over fiddly work is to peer at it and most of us are old enough to need specs. It may well be worth getting a pair made specifically for the focal distance from work to correct stance for doing that work.

Also take care of using magnification. I owned a superbly expensive magnifying headset for fine surgical work but it really depended on keeping one's head in a narrow golden distance from the project - made the surgery easy but gave one a horrid stiff neck doing it.

pgk

Bandersnatch19/05/2019 01:26:48
1165 forum posts
40 photos

Cheap, over the counter "reading glasses" in several dioptres fufil my shop needs.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest