Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Green Grit Wheel

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nick Clarke 314/05/2019 19:02:21
390 forum posts
11 photos

Have got a cheapie 6" grinder with fine and coarse wheels.

Wondering whether to replace one with a Silicon carbide (green grit) wheel - at present I use coarse and fine standard wheels on HSS and use a hand diamond hone to touch up brazed tipped tools.

If I do replace which do you suggest goes - I use both at present but could either be replaced with the SiC wheel and it be used on HSS as well?

Thanks` in advance.

Nick

mechman4814/05/2019 19:25:32
2461 forum posts
371 photos

You can change either side for a SiC wheel so it's dependent on which side you ( prefer ) to use, are you left/right handed?. Bear in mind that SiC is mainly used for brazed on tungsten carbide tipped tools to be of any use, so if you use them often that's the set up you should be looking at. A lot of members have done away with the SiC wheel & replaced it with a wire wheel & have a generic Al Ox ( medium grade ) on the other end, horses for courses I s'pose.

I have SiC / AL Ox set up on my small 6" grinder & it's been very rare for me to use the SiC wheel apart from the odd touch up on a carbide tip that I use for cast iron plus the occasional touch up of a carbide tipped scriber that doesn't get a lot of use either. No doubt other members will cast their opinions to assist you with variations on a theme

George.

David George 116/05/2019 07:12:04
917 forum posts
307 photos

Hi Nick the first thing I did when getting my grinder was to change the rough standared wheel to a silicon carbide wheel as if you use brazed on carbide tools and boring bars you will need one. I use the fine wheel for HSS tool and drill grinding.

David

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
Warco
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Meridenne Boat 2019
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest