Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Downloadable issues

down load the magazine to read at will

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Lickfold11/05/2019 04:01:22
571 forum posts
102 photos

Is there any way, that the magazine can be downloaded so that I can have a saved complete copy of the magazine on my Laptop.

That way, I do not need Internet access and can reference at any time a particular magazine. I want the adds in it, as often they advertise stuff and its becomes a useful source to support those who support the magazine.

Maybe the version that is downloaded can have a water mark added to the subscription owner or something to deter the odd ones that will share instead of getting a subscription.

The current system of being only online is so annoying, I am thinking of cancelling the electronic and only getting the physical magazines.

Thor11/05/2019 06:29:37
1130 forum posts
31 photos

Hi Neil,

This was discussed here recently and it seems your best bet is to print to PDF and save the PDF version, read Paul Lousick's post in the link, he seems to have found a solution.

Thor

Edited By Thor on 11/05/2019 06:33:02

JasonB11/05/2019 07:16:45
16443 forum posts
1739 photos
1 articles

Nick, assuming you have a current digital subscription then the facility to download and view off line has been available for several years. Register at Pocketmags and then follow their instructions for downloading. Applies to mags you have paid for not old ones from the archive.

No need to do what Thor suggests and muck about with pdfs

Edited By JasonB on 11/05/2019 07:18:18

Paul Lousick11/05/2019 11:23:30
1192 forum posts
498 photos

As far as I know, you need Windows 10 to use the Pocketmags app. I use Win 7 ##**&^%%%%% !!!!!!

Neil Wyatt11/05/2019 16:34:18
16655 forum posts
687 photos
75 articles
Posted by Paul Lousick on 11/05/2019 11:23:30:

As far as I know, you need Windows 10 to use the Pocketmags app. I use Win 7 ##**&^%%%%% !!!!!!

Apparently although Microsoft have officially ended free upgrades to w10, they haven't switched off the free uprade licence validations servers - essentially 'accidentally' allowing (the great majority of) late upgraders to still take advantage of the offer.

With support and security updates for W7 ending in January 2020 you may wish to consider this path.

Neil

Bandersnatch11/05/2019 18:53:20
1263 forum posts
40 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 11/05/2019 16:34:18:

Apparently although Microsoft have officially ended free upgrades to w10, they haven't switched off the free uprade licence validations servers - essentially 'accidentally' allowing (the great majority of) late upgraders to still take advantage of the offer.

More than that .... at least two Windows Updates for Win-7 in the last few months have been to allow the user to upgrade to Win-10. The wording was a bit obscure and I got the impression that it was more a question of implementing said upgrade than "allowing" it.

There have been similar updates for Win-8x although not very recently as I recall.

[ I check all updates to see what they do, before accepting them ... not just for this reason; some updates have some rather nasty potential side-issues "in some cases" such as screwing up a network and forcing re-installation and re-configuration of the network card - a long term deficiency that MS seems in no hurry to fix. ]

Versaboss13/05/2019 11:44:32
420 forum posts
50 photos

Neil

Hello Neil,
I'm quite interested in what's behind this remark above. When I bought my laptop, it came with Windows 8.1 My (newer) desk PC has W10. Because of the (at that time) frightful remarks about W10, I let the offers to update pass...
But now I would like to, if I could.

To make it short, could you give a hint (read: link) where this upgrade is still possible?

Kind regards,
Hans

Edited By Versaboss on 13/05/2019 11:44:49

Neil Wyatt13/05/2019 15:20:12
16655 forum posts
687 photos
75 articles
Posted by Versaboss on 13/05/2019 11:44:32:

Neil

Hello Neil,
I'm quite interested in what's behind this remark above. When I bought my laptop, it came with Windows 8.1 My (newer) desk PC has W10. Because of the (at that time) frightful remarks about W10, I let the offers to update pass...
But now I would like to, if I could.

To make it short, could you give a hint (read: link) where this upgrade is still possible?

Kind regards,
Hans

Edited By Versaboss on 13/05/2019 11:44:49

Just search Windows 10 free update there are lots of articles.

As I understand it if you download the upgrade from Microsoft and run it, if you installation is an older one when you expect to be asked to pay for a new licence key it 'usually' just accepts the old one. I can't promise this works every time.

Apparently Microsoft's licence conditions are rather ambiguous, possibly deliberately so...

www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

NOTE: The procedure described on that link involves downloading the official update from Microsoft - no involvement of dodgy third-party sites, fake licence numbers or illegal hacking.

Neil

Neil Lickfold14/05/2019 19:55:47
571 forum posts
102 photos

Thanks for the replies, I will try the pocket mags site.

Neil L

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest