Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

Pulse Jet Carburator

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian Usmar08/05/2019 20:29:23
52 forum posts
10 photos

Is there anyone on here who is an expert in Pulse Jet Carbs ?

Roy Vaughn08/05/2019 21:43:08
13 forum posts

Try the forum on the Barton web site:

http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/portal.php

Andrew Tinsley08/05/2019 22:01:15
930 forum posts

They don't have carbs as such. Just a very narrow aperture for the fuel and usually a compressed air source to start them. The difficulty is getting the diameter correct for the ambient temperature and pressure. Quite an art form in getting this correct.

Andrew.

Martin Hamilton 108/05/2019 23:39:19
145 forum posts

Have a word with Barrie Lever on this forum, i believe Barrie is flying some pulse jet control line planes. If he can't offer advice i'm sure he probably knows someone that can.

Speedy Builder509/05/2019 06:48:14
1843 forum posts
128 photos

I have the plans from the Model Aero Engine Encyclopedia 1959 showing the Brauner Pulse jet. PM me if you want a copy. My problem is finding someone who could laser cut the petal valve disc from 0.010" - 015" shim steel.

BobH

Tim Stevens09/05/2019 17:14:44
1101 forum posts

Clever things, pulse jets. You start with a working two-stroke single, with a reed valve inlet and tuned resonant exhaust system, and you take away the engine and just join the rest together. Exhaust dimensions limit the frequency, so with a model I guess the sound is not at all reminiscent of a V1?

Reed valve petals can be made by spark erosion, electro-etching, and in extremis, nail scissors. But why not a flutter-box as used in the device mentioned above?

Cheers, Tim

Speedy Builder509/05/2019 17:30:16
1843 forum posts
128 photos

Yes Tim, I ran mine up on cup final day one year. Our neighbour who had been bombed by a V1 came running outside in sheer terror.

Oily Rag09/05/2019 17:43:01
30 forum posts
18 photos

You can use the reed valves from 2 stroke motorcycles, depending on what size you want to build you have the choice of either 80cc kiddies motorcrossers reed valve blocks through to 450cc single cylinder Pro Crossers reed blocks. These reeds are either stainless steel, titanium or of a resin based material. The fuel delivery system is best served by a spray bar arrangement with a needle jet trimming device for fuel flow, ignition by a trembler coil feeding a 14mm spark plug, and on the one I built with some work colleagues many years ago (30!) we had a variable 'exhaust tube' which changed the tuned frequency and allowed us to 'pitch' the outlet sound. Basically the exhaust was a slow tapered tube (~8 to10 degree included taper) from about 3" diameter out to 5" diameter with a reverse cone megaphone reducing it to about 1.5" diameter. The variable length was a sliding arrangement on the 1.5" tail pipe.

As has been mentioned above you will need some compressed air to start it and a hand squirt fuel bottle to encourage 'first fire'. Have a fire blanket and fire extinguisher to hand! (in case of a back fire - but with the reed valve block it should be pretty safe)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest