Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

ECAM v4 Lathe & Mill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
blowlamp04/05/2019 14:55:14
1196 forum posts
82 photos

I came across Ecam a few years ago and I'm liking it more and more because of its no-nonsense way of doing the job it's designed to do and the steady updates.

It isn't a 3d CAM system like say, Fusion 360 is, but I find it much easier to use for everyday work, and in a couple of instances it let me do jobs that I found impossible in Fusion 360 - I'm not saying Fusion couldn't do it, just that I couldn't find a way.

Here's a link to Ecam. It becomes freeware at the weekend, which means that whilst all functions are available for use through the week, gcode can only be generated at the weekend. Of course this restriction is lifted if the software is purchased

The upshot is that all the design & setting up can be done Mon-Fri and the gcode made for free on Sat-Sun and for as long as you want. It seems quite generous of the author considering that there are few Lathe CAM systems out there and Ecam's is rather good. I find the Mill CAM to be excellent too, as it has Roughing, Re-machining, Finishing and Chamfering all within the one operation and also allows for the use of Tee-Slot cutters etc.

Features.

I'm just a happy user. smiley

Martin

fizzy04/05/2019 16:39:40
1582 forum posts
104 photos

Thanks for the info Martin. I will have a look at it and see how I get on.

geoff adams05/05/2019 17:22:05
121 forum posts
125 photos

hi Blowlamp

downloaded ecam looks good but iam hopeless with computers where did you learn how to use it is there tutorils

i have imported a dxf file for turning now iam stuck any help would grateful

Geoff

blowlamp05/05/2019 17:33:04
1196 forum posts
82 photos

Give me a couple of hours Geoff and I'll try to make a 'get you going' video to help you on your way.

Martin.

blowlamp05/05/2019 22:00:45
1196 forum posts
82 photos

Here's a quick video - I hope it bumps things along.

geoff adams07/05/2019 13:05:26
121 forum posts
125 photos

hi Martin

thanks for the link the video was a great help the only problem i have is when i select geometry it selects everything no matter what i do, think it might be my cad i use e machine shop have no problem exporting to cambam for my mills iam looking at onshape sees logical and easy to use what do you use? i will soldier on but do need some simple cam for my lathes i have just brought a boxford 240 8 station tool turret lathe iam writing all g code by hand

many thanks Geoff

blowlamp07/05/2019 18:53:57
1196 forum posts
82 photos

Hi Geoff.

Make sure Chain Selection isn't highlighted on the menu, as that function links curves that share common end points for quicker selection. Also, make sure your CAD isn't joining each curve to make polylines - you can usually 'explode' them back to separate curves in your CAD though.

My CAD is MoI, which I find is all I need for my work-flow.

Martin.

geoff adams08/05/2019 16:40:56
121 forum posts
125 photos

hi Martin

that has worked have made some code and run it on the machine looks ok i did put fillet radius in mach3 dint like the end points and start points so reprogrammed without

the post processor is for a fanuc control can that be changed for mach3 .can the depth of the roughing cut be altered

sorry for all the questions had a play with the milling it looks to be a good uncomplicated prog for both mills and lathes

many thanks Geoff

geoff adams09/05/2019 08:52:20
121 forum posts
125 photos

morning Martin

sorted both problems i had mach3 in radius mode changed to dia. program now runs

found out how to change depth of cuts thet call cut height

thanks for all the help Geoff

blowlamp09/05/2019 11:13:20
1196 forum posts
82 photos

Nice one Geoff!

If you decide Ecam is the one for you, then once it's more familiar, I suggest tweaking the postprocessor to tune its ouput until you get exactly what your machine requires. I've got mine working just as I like it with my LinuxCNC compatible controller (PlanetCNC TNG) - it's well worth the effort and I never need to edit the code now.

Martin.

geoff adams09/05/2019 13:17:27
121 forum posts
125 photos

Martin

will definitely be using it ,used the milling this morning came out great. once you no where to find and use the functions its so easy and quick to use thanks to you

i have used fusion 360 its to complicated for simple parts very impressed dont no why i havent come across it before been looking lathe cam for some time this ticks all the boxes thanks for the heads up on this software more people should using it i programmed cnc mills back in the eights wish i had this then all i had was a calculator no computer never thought then that i would have my own cnc machines in my back garden how times have changed

does Jason B with his new machine know about this software i think hes using fusion

its great that the g code is free at the weekend thick i might purchase the milling and lathe just so i can use all week its not a lot of money what machine do you have? i have a tormach 1100 , syil x4 mills a boxford 240 and seig cnc lathes will try and posts pics later

once again many thanks Geoff

geoff adams09/05/2019 17:55:46
121 forum posts
125 photos

hi martin

one of my lads has put the pis on for me the first two are of the parts machined on my boxford using ecam they will end up up as cylinder heads

img_0808.jpgimg_0810.jpgimg_0807.jpgimg_0802.jpgimg_0804.jpgimg_0809.jpg

blowlamp10/05/2019 22:10:57
1196 forum posts
82 photos

You've got a factory there, Geoff. thumbs up

I have a Denford Triac mill and a Denford Starturn 8 lathe.

Good to hear that you're getting on well with Ecam.

Like you, I'm surprised it doesn't seem to be more popular, considering that it's well featured, up to date and reasonably priced. Now I've used it for a while and tuned the postprocessor to my liking, then in terms of work-flow, I think it's the quickest CAM I've tried.

Martin.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne Sept 2019
Warco
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest