Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 11th

ML7 feed screw wear

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brainsparks3026/04/2019 00:45:30
16 forum posts
3 photos

Having got an understanding of Gib strips and correct set up, I noticed my cross slide and compound slide feed screw nuts are worn, the cross slide has a little play and the compound quite a lot.

Can I replace the nuts and be ok, or must the screws be changed as well?

Would the Arc Euro Trade bearing mod fix things cheaper?

Grindstone Cowboy26/04/2019 01:11:45
124 forum posts
1 photos

Have a read of this thread **LINK**

Mark Rand26/04/2019 01:30:47
756 forum posts

As well as the linked thread, the nuts are a 'consumable' item. They were originally Mazac/Zamac/zinc alloy and wore in preference to the feed screws. They are an easy, cheap replacement and worth doing before you replace the screws themselves, but the cost of the complete screw+nut assembly is cheaper than the original Myford Beeston parts were.. The Myford/RDG web site has them listed.

not done it yet26/04/2019 09:08:17
3341 forum posts
11 photos

The decision on whether the screw and nut needs replacing should be based on backlash readings at different points along the screw.

Also depends on your subjective “little” and “quite a lot”. There will always be “a little’ backlash. But there should be no end-float from other causes.

Douglas Johnston26/04/2019 09:38:51
606 forum posts
32 photos

Just had a look at the Myford/RDG prices and have to say the word "cheap" did not come to mind, but perhaps that says more about me than anything else. Over £400 for a topslide , good grief you could buy a whole Chinese lathe for that.

Doug

Hopper26/04/2019 09:48:44
3695 forum posts
73 photos

Plenty of good used topslides on eBay for about an eighth of that amount. They are not a high-wear item so a safe bet to buy used.

Peter Sansom26/04/2019 13:53:20
59 forum posts
2 photos

For power crossfeed on the S7 you need to purchase the nut/screw assembly, otherwise you can just purchase the nut, unless it has worked hard in an industrial environment. My S7 was 25 years in an industrial setting, I replaced the nuts when i acquired it.

Everything else can usually be fixed by adjustment

Dennis Pataki26/04/2019 16:29:18
7 forum posts

Keep in mind that a worn feed screw will affect the accuracy of movement as shown on the graduated dial. This is most noticeable over a long distance of movement due to wear differences in the screw threads.

A worn nut will only affect the backlash due to excess clearance between the screw and nut.

Hopper27/04/2019 01:48:09
3695 forum posts
73 photos

There is also the old dodge of cutting the threaded section off the screw, turning it round endwise and re-attaching it with a suitable spigot pin and silver solder. This moves the worn section to the least used end of the leadscrew. Works best with the main carriage leadscrew but not sure where the cross-slide nut rides on the S7. If its in the middle then obviously no advantage to be gained but if its at one end could be worth doing if the screw is badly worn.

Howard Lewis27/04/2019 08:58:36
2327 forum posts
2 photos

Only changed the worn nut on the Cross Slide on my ML7 when I had one.

Although, eventually did upgrade to the long Cross Slide and Leadscrew.

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne oct 2019
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
cowbells
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest