Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

Meshing with Lantern pinions - Part A

Another slice of CAD and how cycloidal clock teeth might mesh

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sam Stones23/04/2019 00:45:29
636 forum posts
240 photos

What started as a simple (CAD) depthing exercise between the wheel teeth and pinion leaves of John Wilding’s large wheel (290 x 8) skeleton clock, turned into a rather protracted undertaking.

See here … **LINK**

There were complimentary hints too, that I should instead direct it for M.E. publication. However, for various reasons I am no longer attracted to the idea. I had already enjoyed (and struggled) with submitting three articles and have a clear idea of how much work is involved.

As mentioned in other places, I have never carried out a practical depthing exercise of gear wheels/pinions. Perhaps I was lucky enough to get away with drilling the pivot holes in the skeleton clock plates even before I had cut the wheels, pinions and arbors. However, following John Stevens’ design, the clock has been running since about 2011.

In conjunction with the meshing details in the previous thread, and Michael Gilligan’s interesting suggestion, these latest images show how an 8pin lantern pinion would mesh with the large (290tooth) wheel (refer John Wilding’s ‘Large wheel skeleton clock).

As before, I constructed the wheel teeth according to ‘involute’ data via BS 978: Part 2. The diameter of the lantern pins matches the thickness of the pinion leaves in the previous thread. Obviously, the front disc of the lantern pinion is missing for clarity.

As before, this series includes meshing-depth decreases from ‘on centre’ to include offset of 0.1mm, 0.25mm, 0.5mm, and 1.0mm. The wheel teeth drive the (pinion) pins to the right.

8-290---full-image---on centre line.jpg

8-290---lantern---on centre line---close-up.jpg290-&-8---lantern---meshing---offset---0.1mm---1.jpg

This is incomplete. Please go to Part B

Sam smile d

Michael Gilligan23/04/2019 06:33:20
13593 forum posts
587 photos
Posted by Sam Stones on 23/04/2019 00:45:29:

As before, I constructed the wheel teeth according to ‘involute’ data via BS 978: Part 2.

Sam,

Many thanks for doing this follow-up yes

Before I proceed to study Part B though; may I just check what appears to be a typo screaming out at me ...

Hopefully 'involute' should read 'cycloidal'

MichaelG.

Sam Stones23/04/2019 19:57:41
636 forum posts
240 photos

Definitely a significant error of mine Michael. crying

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, and apologies to all.

Cycloidal NOT involute!

It's time this SOB packed his bags.

Sam embarrassed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 2019
Advertise With Us
ChesterUK
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest