Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale May 23

Lathe bed regrind

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Garbutt 121/04/2019 19:25:07
51 forum posts
2 photos

Can any one point me in the direction of the company that regrinds lathe bed in Halifax . im sure there was one ?

Peter G. Shaw21/04/2019 19:44:36
953 forum posts
39 photos

There used to be a firm known as Keighley Grinders but that's long since closed. Suggest a look on Google which throws up a number of firms.

Michael Garbutt 122/04/2019 11:25:09
51 forum posts
2 photos

iv looked on google and cant find it for the life of me

Mike Poole22/04/2019 11:30:44
1867 forum posts
45 photos

**LINK**

R Skinner Slideway grinding are in Halifax, apart from finding them on google I know nothing about them.

if you google slideway grinding you may get better results than lathe bed.

Mike

Michael Garbutt 122/04/2019 12:36:00
51 forum posts
2 photos

so frustrating as i know there was a place but cant find it

Tony Pratt 122/04/2019 14:26:07
844 forum posts
2 photos

Try a google search of 'slideway grinding services'

Tony

mgnbuk23/04/2019 08:16:46
505 forum posts
10 photos

R Skinner Slideway grinding are in Halifax

Not for a long time. Bob Skinner sold out to Bob Pickles IIRC over 10 years ago - the Shay Lane address is where Bob Pickles operated from after Bob Skinner's machines were relocated (Bob Skinner chose to sell up & retire when he had to move from his rented premises). As far as I have been able to ascertain, I don't think Bob Pickles is trading any more either.

Bob Skinner was the primary regrinder we used at my previous employment (CNC machine tool rebuild & retrofit) & I had the pleasure of working with him to solve some "interesting" problems that came up from time to time. He set the highest standards & was extremely tenacious in getting to the bottom of problems. He delighted in getting me to work out solutions & set-ups when there were problems, gently prompting or offering advice, but making me work things out - it was always a pleasure to work with him. IIRC he had been the planing shop foreman at Butler Machine Tools in Halifax before starting up on his own. At the time he was served notice to leave the premises (the landlord wanted to do other things with the building) he was not far short of retirement age & had had health problems, hence selling the business.

I can only recall using Bob Pickles once after he took over from Bob Skinner & visited his premises on Shay Lane to discuss our requirements. IIRC he only took one or two of Bob Skinner's 3 planers & was a sole trader. He offered additional services like applying & pre-machining anti-friction coatings (Turcite etc.) to minimise fitting time. The job he did at that time was also to a high standard. I can't find any current information about this business from local sources.

Nigel B

Mike Poole23/04/2019 08:40:33
1867 forum posts
45 photos

It looks as though once again the information on the internet is not up to date, a good update and background on Skinners from Nigel. You will have to keep hunting Michael.

Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest