Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

Stainless Steel Metric Fasteners

Looking for recommendations for an online supplier

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian P21/04/2019 22:09:33
2145 forum posts
89 photos

At the time I was looking at using the precision low profile shoulder screw to locate mount a ballrace in an idler gear, as it happens the design then changed as the gear position needed to be adjustable. Will certainly bear them in minf for the future.

Regarding the pricing, the usual convention is that the price per item drops as the quantities increase, so only showing the bulk price put me off.

Ian P

David George 122/04/2019 06:53:18
882 forum posts
292 photos

At one factory I was apprenticed at we made parts for RR aero engines and the bolts and nuts were silver plated to prevent galling and picking up. It's amazing what you remember when someone mentions a problem on here.

David

Circlip22/04/2019 09:57:38
966 forum posts

Galling is not necessarily a quality finish problem. Moons ago when I was inoxing a Guzzi, Dave Middleton's shop was close to where I live so was easy to collect fasteners and chat. Quality and finish on the fasteners he sold were/are top notch. An M12 bolt and nut I bought was assembled and the nut spin on freely. It wasn't on the bike (luckily) but unscrewing them although they hadn't been spannered, proved impossible. The nut was NOT tightened but proved stiff when trying to unscrew, initially by hand but then with a spanner it completely locked. A trip back to Dave's came with the explanation of Galling, especially with Stainless and the use of Copper slip. If it's never happened to you, you're lucky but be warned.

Regards Ian.

Edited By Circlip on 22/04/2019 09:58:54

Nigel Graham 223/04/2019 14:34:16
363 forum posts

I recall an awkward instance of it at work, with cap-screws and 'Nyloc' nuts - the action of the insert might increase the risk of galling.

These screws were no more than M5, possibly only M3 or 4.

The assembly was encased in an annulus consisting of two flanged rubber mouldings clamped together by pairs of stainless-steel plate rings bearing on the flanges, with lots of screws and nuts. The whole thing formed a short but very thick-walled cylindrical tube open at both ends, with equatorial flanges inside and outside.

And of course the seized fasteners had to be on the inner flanges! This was only about 80 mm diameter, maybe 40 or 50mm deep from each end of the case. Not much room for hands and spanners; certainly no room to cut a few pennies' worth of screw, even if that were possible without risking damaging probably a few hundred quid's worth of specially-made casing!

I could only try tightening the nut until the screw sheared before the Allen key, which luckily it did.

Tricky23/04/2019 14:50:39
37 forum posts
2 photos

I've found GWR Fasteners are good quality and reasonable prices and they have expanded their range recently - GWR

Richard

Zebethyal23/04/2019 15:28:31
188 forum posts

I use Orbital Fasteners in Watford for 90% of my nuts, bolts, set screws, etc.

Prices are listed per 100, but they will sell any number of a given item, free next day delivery in and around the Greater London area (full list of qualifying postcodes on delivery charges page) for orders over £25.00.

Small online orders of less than £10 value and less than 1kg weight can be sent in a Jiffy bag via Royal Mail, (although not an option at checkout - see delivery charges page for full details).

Further afield, next day delivery is a little expensive at £60.00+VAT.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne oct 2019
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest