Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale May 23

Model Engineer's Handbook printing error

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
AdrianR19/04/2019 10:21:35
189 forum posts
12 photos

I just received a copy of Tubal Cain's Model Engineer's Handbook. It has printing errors.

It has two section 8's "Steam and the steam engine", the end of section 10 "Boiler Work" is missing and the whole of section 11 "Piston and gland seals" is missing.

If you have a copy you may want to check yours, or hold off from buying one for a while.

Adrian

Russell Eberhardt19/04/2019 10:58:09
2443 forum posts
83 photos

My third edition is fine.

Russell

mechman4819/04/2019 11:52:03
2362 forum posts
373 photos

Send it back with explanation for exchange / refund.

George.

Hopper19/04/2019 11:56:37
3589 forum posts
72 photos

The one I bought four or five years ago had section 12 (Electrical) missing and doubles of section 10 (Boilers). Notified the publisher/supplier and they sent me another copy -- exactly the same!

Gave up at that stage but at least I ended up with one copy for the workshop and one for the armchair.

AdrianR19/04/2019 14:54:59
189 forum posts
12 photos

Hopper,

That does not fill me with confidence, If they send me one that is the same, I will do you a swap. between the two editions we will have a complete book each.

AdrianR19/04/2019 15:16:27
189 forum posts
12 photos

I just found you can download the whole book as a pdf from a site in the USA.

ega19/04/2019 16:07:57
1150 forum posts
95 photos

Plus one for a complete third edition although an earlier edition came with a sheet of numerous errata, probably spotted at a late stage by TC himself.

Worth checking if buying a used early edition.

Howard Lewis20/04/2019 10:25:50
1917 forum posts
2 photos

You had me worried!

Have just checked my 3rd Edition, reprinted in 2005. No consolation to you, but all seems to be in order.

maybe a problem with later reprints?

Obviously (4/3 pi R^3 x 2 ) up at the printers and bookbinders. (Biddles of Kings Lynn)

Howard

ega20/04/2019 11:15:07
1150 forum posts
95 photos

Despite these apparent faults the book has an impressive printing history and I note that it is bound in "signatures", a sign of good quality, although the method does perhaps facilitate this kind of fault.

As a reference work, it seems possible that many will never notice or suffer from its omissions or duplications.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Sarik
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest