Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Graham Meek Myford Super 7 Screw Cutting Clutch

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Butler16/04/2019 19:00:51
71 forum posts
1 photos

Gentlemen

Having recently re-read Graham's article for the screw cutting clutch for the ML7 in MEW. i am tempted to buy his "Projects for the Home Workshop" which i understand contains the original design for the Super 7 which I have. I have some queries which hopefully the esteemed members of this forum will be able to resolve.

a) I have the custom Machine DRO Sino DRO fitted to my S7 and wish to retain this. Is this possible?

b) Are there any disadvantages when fitting this device or can the lathe be operated normally with the added advantage of easy selection of forward and reversing the leadscrew?

c) Have any worthwhile improvements been made to the original design - if so details would be appreciated.

Thank you in anticipation

Robert Butler

Chris Trice16/04/2019 19:26:49
1354 forum posts
9 photos

(a) Yes. The disengaging rod sits neatly, if a little tightly, below the cross slide and above the aluminium housing on the rear of the bed. You may find it advantageous to make the arm the rod attaches to adjustable for length in order to fine tune it. Similarly the block that clamps to the bed that supports the other end of the rod might need tweaking depending on how close your saddle is going to get to it.

(b) No disadvantages. Mine has been fitted for at least five years.

(c) That's a question for Graham. My one suggestion would be to make the groove in the barrel which holds the lever in the neutral position via the sprung ball bearing a bit deeper than the other two locating grooves because sometimes when disengaging manually, the lever skips over the neutral position and goes into the reverse position.

Robert Butler19/04/2019 18:15:46
71 forum posts
1 photos

Chris thank you for your reply, i have purchased Grahams book and await delivery with interest. if anyone else has anything to add i would be interested to hear from them.

Robert Butler

Graham Meek20/04/2019 11:11:07
73 forum posts
65 photos

Hello Robert,

I am unfamiliar with the DRO set-up so I cannot comment on this.

There have been a few additions to my original design to suit personal preference. The first being the ability to dis-engage the unit when desired. Using the original Myford tumbler lever location holes. This was done by Ken Willson, (KWIL), and several people I know have added this feature. I have no drawings of this, but I am sure a personal message to KWIL will get you the necessary details.

Another modification which has gone a long way to quieten the device down in use is the fitment of non metallic idler gears in place of the Phos Bronze ones. The materials used so far are as follows, Delrin, (Acetal), a Nylon graphite mix and my choice Tufnol. The flat woven material, not round. The latter is not good for gears as the laminations are running parallel to the gear teeth. Not perpendicular to them as in the sheet material.

The last modification I can think of is the addition of ball races in the idler gears. This mod was down to Phil Proctor and shown on the front cover of MEW which contained the ML7 version of the clutch.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Gray,

Robert Butler20/04/2019 17:26:54
71 forum posts
1 photos

Dear Graham

Thank you for your post, I am grateful to you.

Robert Butler

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Allendale May 19
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest