By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 11th

Moving to Australia - Moving Workshop Machines

Any experience of moving a home workshop abroad?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Grotto18/04/2019 02:46:04
122 forum posts
71 photos

Don’t take TV's with you. I’m not sure about Australia, but here in NZ the gap between picture and sound frequencies is different from the UK.

i ended up being able to tune into sound, or picture, but not both at the same time.

Also as Peter said, fridges don’t seem to last out here due to climate. Ours worked for about a month.

I bought a load of UK electrical plugs and sockets, and have most of my tools fitted with UK plugs which are more robust (& fused), and have UK sockets in the workshop. Any new tools I buy get their plugs replaced with UK ones.

Hopper18/04/2019 06:37:03
3699 forum posts
73 photos

There's nothing worth watching on free-to-air TV anyhow. Smart TV hooked to the Internet is pretty much essential.

Danny M2Z18/04/2019 08:31:48
745 forum posts
278 photos

Les, also watch out for the drop bears, they love new immigrants Drop Bears. Get used to eating Vegemite, it seems to deter them.

When I lived in Brizzy, cane toads sometimes visited my workshop Cane Toads. Many people used to practice their golf swing on them but in today's PC world this is frowned upon even though they are a known environmental pest.

Hopper, what is the current technique to deal with them?

* Danny M *

Anthony Knights18/04/2019 09:08:59
271 forum posts
87 photos

According to my son, who lives near Darwin, you either bag them up and stick them in the freezer, or take them to a Cane Toad center where the are humanely killed. You should wear rubber gloves when handling them !

Edited By Anthony Knights on 18/04/2019 09:14:15

Hopper18/04/2019 11:28:45
3699 forum posts
73 photos
Posted by Danny M2Z on 18/04/2019 08:31:48:...

... Hopper, what is the current technique to deal with them?

* Danny M *

I have a couple of pet canetoads that live in the backyard. I figure that wanting to wipe out an introduced species because it kills the native inhabitants is a tenuous position for a whitefella to hold in these parts.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest