Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Potty Mill Engine Attempt

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Daniel08/04/2019 08:15:52
181 forum posts
34 photos

Armed with the drawings from Stewart Hart, I have made a start on the build.

In the true spirit of trying to run before I can walk, I decided to have flanges on the cylinder. I'm beginning to wonder if that was such a good idea.

I suppose, if it becomes too complicated, I can simply make another one. laugh

20190408_085740.jpg

SillyOldDuffer08/04/2019 09:18:08
4083 forum posts
826 photos

Looks very good to me Daniel!

The flanges are useful if the engine is to be run on steam because they reduce the weight of metal in the cylinder; excess metal just soaks up heat wasting power and causing condensation inside. Running on compressed air the build could be simplified by using a solid cylinder but I think the engine is more convincing built to plan as you've done.

Good job!

Dave

Daniel08/04/2019 15:51:01
181 forum posts
34 photos

Thank's Dave, for your encouragement.

I know that for many, it would seem quite basic.

But, for me at least, it's a completely new adventure.

I'm just hoping that I have some progress to report, and many questions no doubt.

laugh

ATB,

Daniel

Ian McVickers08/04/2019 20:23:18
101 forum posts
59 photos

Great start Daniel.

My first mill engine attempt is under way as well but after a hiccup I've decided to change the design a bit to make the first one a bit easier, well for me at least. What engine are you building?

Ian

Daniel09/04/2019 06:20:32
181 forum posts
34 photos

Hello Ian,

It's a design from Stewart Hart. Look for "Potty Engineering".

As far as I know, he designed three different engines aimed at beginners like myself.

I was inspired by the recent thread of The Potty Overcrank. 

Let's see some photos of yours.

ATB,

Daniel

Edited By Daniel on 09/04/2019 06:42:40

Ian McVickers12/04/2019 20:21:24
101 forum posts
59 photos

Daniel,

third attempt at posting this. This site isn't really tablet friendly from what I can see. Hitting delete sometimes takes me back a page and deletes the post rather than deleting the text, but here we go again.

I am trying the Horizontal mill engine also by Stewart. Many thanks to him for making these drawings available. I wasn't happy with the result of my slide bars so decided to make them differently hoping that it will be easier for my first engine build.

20190408_193745.jpg

Photo above shows my progress so far including the slide bars I wasn't happy with. Hopefully I will get some more time in the workshop this weekend but I have some shelves to finish first for storing off cuts.

SillyOldDuffer12/04/2019 20:46:24
4083 forum posts
826 photos
Posted by Ian McVickers on 12/04/2019 20:21:24:

Daniel,

third attempt at posting this. This site isn't really tablet friendly from what I can see. Hitting delete sometimes takes me back a page and deletes the post rather than deleting the text, but here we go again.

I am trying the Horizontal mill engine also by Stewart. Many thanks to him for making these drawings available. I wasn't happy with the result of my slide bars so decided to make them differently hoping that it will be easier for my first engine build.

20190408_193745.jpg

Photo above shows my progress so far including the slide bars I wasn't happy with. Hopefully I will get some more time in the workshop this weekend but I have some shelves to finish first for storing off cuts.

Good looking build with an attractive variation on the slides. If I remember right being able to bolt the top slides on last makes it easier to assemble the engine. Not tried it with the slides bolted together first and the modification might make it too awkward. Can you let us know how it works out?

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale May 19
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest