Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Testing a Beam Engine?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Malc05/04/2019 17:05:26
60 forum posts
5 photos

Over the past few years (on & off) I have been making the Julius De Waal "Balanced beam engine with cylindrical valve". I have reached the stage where I would like to test run it before dismantling it to make it look "presentable". However, the only air supply I have is a cheapo mini air compressor for pumping up the car tyres. Having tried it the engine tries to work but will not run continuously. I have tried experimenting with the timing of the valve but to no avail. The mini compressor is capable of pressures up to 10 Bar but it's flow rate is only 35 Lts./min. and of course it has no tank. The beam engine has a 30mm dia. cylinder and a stroke of approx. 40mm. so it's not a big capacity. I had considered connecting it to one of my car tyres and using that as an air source, but I have no idea of the pressure / flow required to run it. Is there a simple way of testing this engine without having to resort to a compressor?

SillyOldDuffer05/04/2019 17:48:57
4711 forum posts
1010 photos

The pump produces a small volume of air at high pressure, while the engine needs a large volume of air at much lower pressure. You need some way of converting from one to the other, it's usually done with a tank and a regulator.

A car tyre is one possibility but you can only charge and empty it in bursts. For temporary engine testing I've successfully used a 2 litre lemonade bottle as a reservoir between the pump and a small engine, pinching the rubber output tube between finger and thumb as a crude regulator/throttle. I made a pair of brass nozzles to connect the plastic pipe-work to the bottle.

Not found a cheap, quiet, moderate pressure, high-flow pump for testing engines yet!

Dave

Malc05/04/2019 22:18:37
60 forum posts
5 photos

Your remarks are a real help. I will certainly try introducing some sort of tank into the air supply. You have also made me suspect the size of the inlet pipes to the valve chamber, they are 4mm copper so the inside diameter is only 3mm. Now I know what is required I can have another play! Thanks for the help.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne oct 2019
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest