Forum sponsored by Allendale May 23

Todays DUMBO award

Todays DUMBO award.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
3404604/04/2019 18:15:00
374 forum posts
2 photos

Unless anybody else did something more stupid, I claim it .

Aluminium bar in chuck for turning down. Awful finish. Messed about changed bits etc - still the same so gave up in disgust.

Had a cup of coffee - back in workshop - looked at lathe - switch was in reverse

Bill

Mike Poole04/04/2019 18:17:58
1874 forum posts
46 photos

Just turn the tool upside down smiley

Mike

Paul Kemp04/04/2019 18:21:45
263 forum posts
9 photos

That would do it! Did something similar with a home made spot facing cutter in the mill! Realised I had ground the bit the wrong way round, reversing the spindle made a significant difference sad. It happens lol.

Brian G04/04/2019 19:04:50
461 forum posts
9 photos

I wanted to reduce the diameter of a spigot but the part was too big for the lathe. "I know, I'll use the boring head" I thought. Set the tool facing inward, put the mill in reverse and got on with it. When I finished the job I removed the head from the arbor and started sweating. It was only hand tight but luckily hadn't unscrewed.

Brian

Brian Oldford04/04/2019 19:18:23
490 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Mike Poole on 04/04/2019 18:17:58:

Just turn the tool upside down smiley

Mike

That's the "putting on" direction. cheeky

Jon Lawes04/04/2019 19:28:30
295 forum posts

If it makes you feel any better I've done the same thing. I don't remember having set the lathe to reverse but I know it took me ages to work it out...

mark costello 104/04/2019 20:46:50
503 forum posts
12 photos

Whew, for a minute I thought I was going to get nominated for an award, thought no one was watching.

Boiler Bri04/04/2019 21:00:21
731 forum posts
277 photos

Nice one for owning up 👍👍👍

Sam Stones05/04/2019 02:37:17
622 forum posts
210 photos

My claim to ‘Jumbo of the day’ goes back many years to when I decided I needed to drill a ¾" hole under the corner cupboard in the kitchen. It was a real sod to reach and I struggled for ages thinking that the wood bit was blunt or I’d hit something hard.

Like Bill, I stopped for a cup of coffee, while I gathered my thoughts.

And, like Bill, I noticed that the battery driven drill was running …… you guessed it ………. backwards. crying

Sam smile d

XD 35105/04/2019 06:09:38
1228 forum posts
83 photos

How many times have you put a hacksaw blade on backwards and only realised it when it wont cut blush , i worked out the other day that coping saws work better if i put the blade on so it cuts pulling the saw towards me - takes The springiness of the frame out of the equation !

i was turning a piece last weekend and it wasn’t going well ended up I hadn’t tightened the clamping lever on my QCTP . I was also using the tailstock centre to set the tools on centre but for some reason it kept changing ,one tool would be too low next tool on centre and it ended up that the centre was just sitting in there and every time i moved the tailstock the centre changed position a small amount !

There are others but i feel i have shamed myself enough for one day !

Murphys law for model engineers :

if it takes days or weeks to make a part it will only stuff up on the last operation !

If it has to be shiny you will polish it to perfection then drop it damaging the finish !

if it is to be painted you will choose a day of low or little wind but this will change by the time you finish painting it and a hurricane will appear out of nowhere !

The more determined you are not to lose something the quicker it will disappear !

All springs can fly and always further than you think !

and the list goes on .

Hopper05/04/2019 07:49:27
3529 forum posts
68 photos

I worked with Swiss engineers who always fitted hacksaw blades "backwards" because thats the way they do it there. They swear it works better.

AdrianR05/04/2019 08:41:31
147 forum posts
3 photos

Ah drills running backwards, that reminds me. I had to drill a hole in a CI soil pipe for a new sink. I bought a hole saw and started. Pilot went in easy, but the saw just wouldnt cut, pushing hard made it cut slowly. After a long time I stopped for a cupper. Looking at the worn the teeth I realised something. The blade had been welded on backwards. Flipping the drill into reverse and the hole was finished in seconds.

Nicholas Farr05/04/2019 09:06:33
1812 forum posts
900 photos

Hi. yea, I've done the battery drill one, even when it's in full view.

Regards Nick.

Sam Stones05/04/2019 18:56:46
622 forum posts
210 photos

And today, my claim to the 'Dumbo of the day' award comes from seeing that I referred (with apologies) to JUMBO.

How daft is that?

Sam smile d

Chris Trice05/04/2019 20:33:11
1355 forum posts
9 photos

Yep, I've done the cordless drill in reverse thing too except I was trying to push an apparently sharp 10mm drill through a piece of steel. Made no difference how hard I pushed for two minutes before the penny dropped.

vintage engineer05/04/2019 22:36:48
116 forum posts

You can buy lefthand drills. I have a set but they are kept well away from my other drills!

Howard Lewis06/04/2019 10:57:09
1884 forum posts
2 photos

As an Apprentice, once ran a face mill in reverse, and wondered why it didn't cut well.

Much more recently, modified the lathe to halve the feed rate. Trying to cut a 1.5 mm pitch thread, but could not get it right. Reason: obsessed with the 3 setting, so set 3 on the Norton box instead of the correct setting. Funnily, once the proper setting was used; the nut screwed on. Strange?

"The man who never made a mistake, never made anything"

Howard

Russell Eberhardt06/04/2019 11:05:47
2432 forum posts
83 photos
Posted by Hopper on 05/04/2019 07:49:27:

I worked with Swiss engineers who always fitted hacksaw blades "backwards" because thats the way they do it there. They swear it works better.

I've done that for years. Try it! I think it's because the centre of push on the handle is higher than the blade teeth. So if the teeth catch the push makes them dig in more. If pulling to cut the pull tends to lift the teeth if they catch.

. . . or perhaps it's because I have Swiss ancestors smiley

Russell

Edited By Russell Eberhardt on 06/04/2019 11:07:03

KWIL06/04/2019 11:12:07
3065 forum posts
56 photos

That is why fret saws work better teeth down and Japanese wood working saws are all draw saws, thin and pulled towards you.yes

Andrew Tinsley06/04/2019 11:13:48
870 forum posts

My claim to fame must beat everyone else. I was putting in a sink and assorted kitchen units. I had a pipe (cold water) running down the wall, but proud of it. So I decided to make a channel in the wall and bury the pipe. I then thought I could run an electric cable in the channel. All was then plastered up, so far so good.

I had to fasten the sink unit base and units to the wall. So I put a horizontal batten along the wall. I drilled the fixing points for rawplugs carefully marking each position before hand . I even marked where the water pipe was.

You guessed it I drilled along the line of marks including that which marked the pipe. There was a flash and a bang and I pulled the (thankfully double insulated) mains powered drill out of the hole and got a jet of water straight in the face!

So don't cut corners as I did. The drill was quite interesting the carbide(?) cutting edge was quite fused!

Andrew.

P.S. How is that for being honest and admitting to Wally status?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest