model engineers workshop

how to download latest magazines

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
philip Godley01/04/2019 11:40:34
5 forum posts

Hi,

My first post here.

How does one download [model engineers workshop magazine].

Up to the latest 2 editions [ 277 & 278] I have managed to download the magazine articles which were of interest.

Now on the last 2 mags [277 & 278], when attempting to download as in the past I get terrible images and is just a pain to read..

Is there a special way now to download ??.

Sorry to be a pain , but I paid for online magazines and as such I would like to view and download them..

JasonB01/04/2019 13:09:11
15509 forum posts
1594 photos
1 articles

Phil

Have a look at this thread about the new viewer.

You should be able to print or download from Pocketmags which is the preferred way to do it for anyone with a current digital subscription

philip Godley01/04/2019 21:23:31
5 forum posts

cheers JasonB,

just looked through the whole saga, as you suggested.

The rogues ripping of and selling copies is bad and I can see that some form policing needs to be in place.

I can also see that a lot off people are, like me, upset by the lack of understanding regarding how the lack of printable issues has been dropped on us without notice!.

As far as I can remember the digital issues were for people to download and view , saving on a bit of cash , and , saving the print/paper for the publishers. win-win..

Had notice been given along with some form of questionare asking people their views as to what they saw as best for them, I'm sure a framework around the opinions could have been made..then everyone happy!!!.

Over the years I have always thought of ME & MEW to be like an extended family always there to help..

Thanks

Bandersnatch01/04/2019 22:13:03
1176 forum posts
40 photos
Posted by philip Godley on 01/04/2019 21:23:31:

As far as I can remember the digital issues were for people to download and view , saving on a bit of cash , and , saving the print/paper for the publishers. win-win..

The digital issues were never billed as "downloadable". They were for viewing on line using the Flash viewer - which did allow printing, individually, of the odd page or two ..... the fact that some used that facility to print the whole shebang to pdf notwithstanding.

JasonB02/04/2019 07:03:47
15509 forum posts
1594 photos
1 articles

There is no lack of printable issues for current subscribers, infact you can print faster on Pocketmags than you could via this site as it allows two pages at a time not one.

The fact that Flash will stop being supported means that a switch had to be made so a questionare would not have been much point. Yes a notice in the Editorial saying that Pocketmags would be the way to print would have helped but I think it going live even took Neil by suprise.

philip Godley02/04/2019 16:08:04
5 forum posts

Bandersnatch

Why is there a lot of people unhappy ,and ,want the download options if it should never have been available in the first place?.

Why pay loadsamoney for something you can only look at online whilst subs last.

JasonB

Ive tried --all i get is out of focus images..

JasonB02/04/2019 16:47:01
15509 forum posts
1594 photos
1 articles

Philip are you printing via Pocketmags and if so are you using their print option or are you simply hitting print screen or snipping in which case the image won't be very good quality.

Bandersnatch02/04/2019 17:18:33
1176 forum posts
40 photos
Posted by philip Godley on 02/04/2019 16:08:04:

Why is there a lot of people unhappy ,and ,want the download options if it should never have been available in the first place?.

Philip, if those questions are not rhetorical, you're asking the wrong person. I didn't create the original situation, I was just explaining it as I understand it.

That said, I don't think people are unhappy about any imagined loss of download option (they never had that in the first place). They are unhappy with the loss of print option in the online viewer because they lose the print-to-pdf route.

philip Godley02/04/2019 19:29:11
5 forum posts

JasonB

I'm using Pocketmags print option and get differing images - non of which I can read. Thanks for your assistance.

Bandersnatch

From looking through the link I was given after my first post ,I'm inclined to agree with you..

Thanks

JasonB02/04/2019 19:59:52
15509 forum posts
1594 photos
1 articles

Philip can I suggest you contact Pocketmags as I have not heard any other cases of problems printing from there for the last two issues only, as far as I am aware nothing has changed on the Pocket mags viewer for these last two issues. It has changed on the online viewer via this site due to the viewer being changed.

Unfortunately I can only access my own ME not MEW issues on Pocket mags which print perfectly well for me so it may be an issue with your particular setup so have the details ready to give to Pocketmags when you contact them.

If you can post a screen shot or snip from your poor print that may shed some light on things.

Edited By JasonB on 02/04/2019 20:03:42

Neil Wyatt03/04/2019 10:13:43
16076 forum posts
675 photos
73 articles
Posted by philip Godley on 02/04/2019 16:08:04:

Bandersnatch

JasonB

Ive tried --all i get is out of focus images..

Phillip,

You get access to your subscription copies on Pocketmags after the end of your subscription as long as you are still signed up to Pocketmags.

The out of focus images may mean you are looking at the latest ME, a draft copy was uploaded in error this should have been corrected by now.

Neil

JasonB03/04/2019 12:59:14
15509 forum posts
1594 photos
1 articles

Not the draft Neil that did not get as far as going public before I spotted the problem. Philip also mentions the problem being with the last two issues of MEW

Neil Wyatt03/04/2019 16:30:56
16076 forum posts
675 photos
73 articles

Hi Philip

If you can email me details of your operating system and browser, I will forward them on to support to see if tehy can help.

neil.wyatt@mytimemedia.com

Thanks,

Neil

philip Godley04/04/2019 13:12:47
5 forum posts

Hi Neil

JasonB actualy put me on the road to getting the quality PDF's via pocketmags for which I'm greatful.

thanks JasonB.

I'm also thankfull to you Neil for offering your help.

I feel part of the community now.....

thanks to all..

PhilG

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest