Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

DraftSight no longer free

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
duncan webster24/09/2019 21:50:38
2255 forum posts
32 photos

As far as I know, all free versions of Draftsight will stop working on the anointed date.

No-one got back to Greensands query, I have had no problem opening dwg produced by Dratsight with other CAD programs, typically Qcad and Solid Edge 2D, I'm going to switch to one or the other.

mgnbuk25/09/2019 07:39:04
520 forum posts
13 photos

I had a look at the Drafsight website yesterday & see that the free version is no longer available - the "free" option now is for a 30 day trial, then an ongoing $99 a year. As I said initially, the "pop-up" that appeared for me which prompted this thread stated that all "free" versions would cease to function at the end of the year - nothing on the website suggests otherwise.

Nigel B

Rod Ashton25/09/2019 12:01:25
286 forum posts
12 photos

I switched to QCAD pro 4/5 weeks ago. It is amazing after a few hours of intro. what nice little touches there are in the workflow. Need to get used to the way of working. But finding new stuff all the time. I have been CAD/CAM ing for 40 plus years and that is the best £30 I have spent on software. No connection to the company whatsoever. Just a happy customer.

Andy Carlson26/09/2019 09:00:05
98 forum posts
53 photos

I've just found this thread. This is something I came across when the messages started to appear earlier this year. I think that several others have made the same decision as me.

I stopped using DraftSight straight away in order to flush out any problems while I could still fire up DraftSight if the need arose.

I now use QCAD free. I use the ODA file converter when I want to convert a DraftSight DWG into DXF. To answer a question posed a couple of weeks back, this can do batch conversions. I have not converted all of my files because converting isn't the full story - they also need to be checked one by one to see if any problems have occurred.

I have no major issues with QCAD. It is different and takes a bit of getting used to. I mainly use CAD for photo etch artwork. This is more about the 'colouring in' than the outlines and this is where I have found a few issues...

In some cases (maybe 5% or so) the conversion has resulted in fills that are not as they were in DraftSight. These have needed manual correction, usually by deleting them and re-creating in QCAD.

The other difference I've found is in the storage of colour info. DraftSight stores layer colours as index colours (red=1, green=3 etc). As far as I can see, QCAD will not do this. It stores all colours as RGB values. None of this causes a problem unless you want to use the colour info for some purpose (which I do). My workflow for the final photo tool uses AutoCAD DWG TrueView to produce two PDF files for the monochrome front and rear masks and this went wrong when I switched to QCAD. So far the only answer I've found is to manually modify the layers back to the corresponding index colours after opening the file in TrueView.

I'm not sure if any of this is relevant to more model engineering uses of CAD, but if you are using layer colours to convey info to another piece of software then it may.

Greensands26/09/2019 09:22:50
8 forum posts

I eventually found that batch conversion of DraftSight files to AutoCAD2000 compatible could be carried out using AutoCAD DRW Trueview - all quite painless.

duncan webster01/10/2019 19:45:50
2255 forum posts
32 photos

I've just come across ProgeCAD Free, anyone know if it is any good?

**LINK**

Adrianh08/11/2019 21:10:31
11 forum posts

I use a free version of Nanocad for 2D work, you register as a hobby user .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Meridienne; London MES
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest