By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Myford 254s accessories ?

So desperate for a 3 point steady + cheap taper turning attachment....anyone help

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Karl Roberts24/03/2019 11:38:26
1 forum posts

Hi I’ve just purchased a myford 254s but I’m having massive problems trying to source a 3 point steady specific to the 254 which I need to need one important job required in my job, the lathe is in under condition pretty much so good condition the steady must be if possible

also I have sourced a genuine taper turning attachment specific to the 254 from Myford direct to Aid me in making customised cylindrical grinding centres but at over £500 I just can’t justify it so if anyone has one for sale please let me know.

.....oh and just one more thing the lathe is imperial so is anyone aware of a conversion kit for metric screw cutting available to buy as I can only find patches of parts required to do the full job needed for the conversion any help greatly appreciated

duncan webster24/03/2019 17:11:22
2253 forum posts
32 photos

I just bought one for some other 5" centre height lathe and modified it. The red bits are new. My travelling steady is actually off a ML7, with a suitable spacerimg_3543 (small).jpg

Oily Rag24/03/2019 17:42:32
22 forum posts
9 photos

Duncan - That;s a 5" Raglan fixed steady, looks like it is off the Little John rather than the latter 5" (they were both 5" centre heights though)

JohnF24/03/2019 18:01:27
871 forum posts
103 photos

Karl, There is a 254 on eBay at the meant with a photo of the attachment, probably worth adding a copy of the pic to you PC for reference.

Have a look at the Hemminway kit for a Myford TT attachment, it is aimed at the 7 series machines but I'm sure it could be modified to fit a 254 without much trouble - the system is very similar.

Some links

**LINK**

**LINK**

Where are you situated ??

Karl see you messages !

Edited By JohnF on 24/03/2019 18:10:06

Ian Hewson24/03/2019 20:17:21
259 forum posts
24 photos

Fitted spacers similar to Duncan when I changed my ml7 to my 254s, work fine.

not done it yet24/03/2019 20:33:03
3475 forum posts
15 photos
Posted by Oily Rag on 24/03/2019 17:42:32:

Duncan - That;s a 5" Raglan fixed steady, looks like it is off the Little John rather than the latter 5" (they were both 5" centre heights though)

There is no difference between the LJ and 5" Raglan beds. Same part number (140) for the fixed steady.

GordonH24/03/2019 22:16:03
13 forum posts
1 photos

Karl,

Do you have a manual for your lathe? If so, page 15 onwards lists the range of Imperial and metric threads which you can create by fitting different changewheels driving the screw cutting leadscrew.  You do not need a conversion kit, just a few changewheels and possibly a stud to fit an additional changewheel.  Parts are available from Myford or other sources.

If you do not have a manual, pm me your email address and I can send you a copy of the relevant pages tomorrow.

I use tailstock tap or die holders for almost all of my threading.

Gordon

Edited By GordonH on 24/03/2019 22:25:44

Edited By GordonH on 24/03/2019 22:48:14

David Standing 126/03/2019 15:53:09
1280 forum posts
46 photos
Posted by Karl Roberts on 24/03/2019 11:38:26:

Hi I’ve just purchased a myford 254s but I’m having massive problems trying to source a 3 point steady specific to the 254 which I need to need one important job required in my job, the lathe is in under condition pretty much so good condition the steady must be if possible

also I have sourced a genuine taper turning attachment specific to the 254 from Myford direct to Aid me in making customised cylindrical grinding centres but at over £500 I just can’t justify it so if anyone has one for sale please let me know.

.....oh and just one more thing the lathe is imperial so is anyone aware of a conversion kit for metric screw cutting available to buy as I can only find patches of parts required to do the full job needed for the conversion any help greatly appreciated

Karl

254 accessories are as rare as hens teeth.

If you don't buy the taper turning attachment that is available, chances are it will be gone. Home & Workshop Machinery had one, that has gone.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
ChesterUK
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest