Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

DIckins live steam loco

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Verbree23/03/2019 20:43:28
4 forum posts

hello folks,

This is my first post here, but I am a long time lurker and subscriber.

I am thinking of building a Dickings live steam locomotive, by Dr. James R. Senft, described in Live Steam Magagine in 1976.

This is my first attempt at a steam engine, although I have been a Home Machinist for more than 30 years.

Has anyone here built one? I'd appreciate any comments on building or running it. Suggestions of possible "better designs" are most welcome.

thanks

Peter Verbree

Ottawa Ontario Canada

3404623/03/2019 21:24:48
350 forum posts
2 photos

This was my first loco build and was straightforward and enjoyable .

I scaled up by 1.4 so that it would run on 45mm track

Modified the cylinder layout to give it more of a victorian carpet train appearance.

Bill

Peter Verbree23/03/2019 21:52:27
4 forum posts

Did you have to make any changes other than scaling it 1.4?

What is the advantage of 45 mm (G scale?) track?

Peter

Jon Lawes23/03/2019 22:50:26
288 forum posts

**LINK**

I thought this quite an interesting page after googling the locomotive to see what you were referring to.

Jeff Dayman23/03/2019 23:05:44
1443 forum posts
37 photos

Hi Peter, If you can find or have O gauge track to run it on, O gauge as originally planned by Dr Senft would be great. G gauge (garden railway) track and rolling stock may be much more available in hobby shops in Ottawa and the rest of Ontario, and may be cheaper than O gauge track due to G gauge's current popularity. (I'm in Waterloo Ont and visit Credit Valley Railway hobby shop in Mississauga once in a while, as well as making some metal parts for G gauge and O gauge model railway enthusiasts near me )

One observation - if the locomotive had steel, stainless steel, or cast iron wheels rather than aluminum it would have a little more weight and better adhesion so it may actually to able to pull some cars.

Good luck.

3404624/03/2019 07:53:08
350 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Peter

32 mm is a tad fiddly for me and I find 45 mm gives me just a nice size loco.

Jeff raises a valid point ref wheel weight but the gent I gave mine to sent me a video of it pulling several trucks with ease. I used aluminium for the wheels.

I suppose I am a bit of an odd ball but as soon as I have made something I usually end up passing it on, as the challenge for me is just the making of it.

Bill.

3404624/03/2019 08:50:47
350 forum posts
2 photos

There is an excellent USA forum called the SE Lounge which is for 7/8 scale loco models which I follow.

Lots of interesting builds and info.

www.7-8ths.info

Bill

3404624/03/2019 10:43:39
350 forum posts
2 photos

Peter

Should have said I thought the cylinder with the screw through it looked out of keeping so made it as per the original uk style ie mamod type cylinder, round all the way up with a backing piece to suit.

The pivot was as mamod style with a spring and nuts inside the frame .

I also brought the steam pipe down inside the boiler and then had a tee to go to both cylinders between the frame as again I thought it looked neater and more original

This may be a bit of a struggle on the smaller size 32mm scale ?

Bill

Peter Verbree26/03/2019 00:38:40
4 forum posts

Thank you all for your comments!

I am going to start by scaling the drawings and looking at the drawings for Ajax that I found on line.

stand by for more!

Peter

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest