Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Myford VM -B milling machine

Can a Myford VM-B milling machine be split in two

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Keith Long 122/03/2019 20:19:04
4 forum posts
6 photos

I am thinking of buying a second hand Myford VM-B milling machine. The problem is that it is in a basement of a house. The back of the machine appears to be held down to the base with 4 cap head bolts. I am tempted to undo the 4 bolts to see if it comes apart to make it easier to lift up the stairs but I am worried that I may do more harm than good. I would be grateful if anyone has any information or any ideas that may help

John Haine22/03/2019 20:47:27
2416 forum posts
132 photos

I have a VMB and I can confirm that undoing those bolts will free the column from the base. It will be very top heavy because the motor is mounted at the top of the column driving the spindle through a long splined shaft. I would recommend that you first lower the head as far as it goes and remove the motor before even trying to loosen the bolts, and take great care as you remove the column that it doesn't topple over. Then you'll have the opportunity to tram the column vertical when you reassemble the machine! I've had my VMB for many years and I'm very happy with it now I've fitted a VFD and 3 phase motor and got rid of the stupid intermediate pulley.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest