Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale May 23

Concrete workshop floor paint

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
AdrianR21/03/2019 17:13:31
195 forum posts
12 photos

I am building a new workshop and wanted to paint the floor with a water based paint. The modern solvents they use send me funny, like a cross between mainlining coffee and being roasted.

I found most cheaper concrete paints are solvent based and water ones are a lot more expensive.

I found Rest Express sell Ronseal Diamond Hard at a really good price and they deliver quickly, so can recommend them.

The paint itself is great, It covers really well and forms a hard smooth finish.

I chose the Slate grey, in the tin it is a light grey and as it dries turns dark. This is the icing on the cake for me, makes it super easy to get the second coat on without missing bits.

Samsaranda21/03/2019 17:47:33
695 forum posts
5 photos

I am not a lover of water based paints, when I built my workshop I used a polyurethane based floor paint, yes it stinks when you apply it but gives an excellent finish on concrete. You need to be aware that paint manufacturers recommend that concrete floors should be left to age for about 12 months to ensure a good bond with the paint. I didn’t leave mine 12 months but I did give it a good coat of primer before painting, yes that will stink again, if you want a durable finish you are probably going to have to suffer fumes.

Dave W

gary shepherd21/03/2019 20:19:07
52 forum posts
10 photos

i used ronseal diamond hard on my floor and found that it is not very durable . gary

choochoo_baloo21/03/2019 21:53:51
183 forum posts
25 photos

I am almost at the same stage as you Adrain. I'm going to use an industrial grade epoxy. It looks the bees knees, and would trust it more than a single pack paint type thing. I will upload the product name here when I'm next out.

Ian S C22/03/2019 10:47:38
7345 forum posts
229 photos

Back in the 1960s I helped paint the floor in our aero engine overhaul shop, it may even still have the same epoxy paint. Don't mix too much at a time(we did, and no we didn't read the instructions until after mixing), we used 30" brooms to paint the floor, and got it all covered in extra quick time, when we had finished there was a ball(about cricket ball size) that was too hot to pick up, it had smoke coming off it.

Ian S C

rex aviation engine and propeller shop (640x427).jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest