By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Until July 27th

45mm Narrow gauge locomotive drawings

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike B21/03/2019 15:42:02
3 forum posts

Having been to the garden rail show at the weekend (16/17th March 2019) and seeing the beautiful Accucraft Bagnall 0-4-0 locomotive I'm rather keen on the idea of making something similar. Yes I could buy it and its lovely but I'm partial to the idea of making one.

So with this in mind does anybody know of drawings that are available (either download or purchase) for a 45mm Narrow gauge British outline model steam locomotive (preferably not the ALCO mountaineer as its frames are a mare) but it doesn't necessarily have to be 0-4-0 either.

Thank you in advance for any information

Mike

3404621/03/2019 16:00:25
459 forum posts
3 photos

I have used Dave Watkins plans in 16mm ie 32mm gauge, and multiplied by 1.4 to bring them up to 45mm scale.

His loco's ie Wild Rose, Idris, etc , ie fully detailed drawings are downloadable on the net

May be worth a look.

Bill

Tomfilery21/03/2019 16:58:50
110 forum posts
4 photos

Mike,

In general, they are few and far between.

Wild Rose is a 2 foot gauge quarry Hunslet, which would run on 32mm track. If you built it to 7/8" scale (rather than 16mm) that would run on 45mm (as Bill suggests).

Otherwise, there is Keith Bucklitch's Brazil (now a very old design) and his Izubuntu (Isubuntu??) - which was meant to be built using no-longer available Roundhouse parts (for the cylinders and motion), so wasn't a "build it from scratch" job.

On the 16mm Association website, under resources are details of a couple more locos - but weird ones, rather than the general "British outline" you requested.

Good luck.

Regards Tom

3404621/03/2019 17:14:26
459 forum posts
3 photos

I have just acquired a full set of Les Warnett build articles on the 3.5 inch scale Lynton and Barnstaple engine which if made at half his drawing size will give me a 45mm narrow gauge engine.

May be worth seeing what is about in 3.5 inch that you could scale down ?

Bill

Bazyle21/03/2019 17:34:21
4582 forum posts
185 photos

I think the Kerr Stuart Wren loco design in Engineering in Miniature from 1997 showed a version for 45mm or could be scaled to fit.

3404621/03/2019 17:50:07
459 forum posts
3 photos

MJ engineering do a Bagnell in 7.25 inch scale

1/4 scale from a set of their drgs is another possibility perhaps ?

Bill

peter ravenscroft21/03/2019 18:09:48
85 forum posts
3 photos

hi mike

get hold of a copy of steam trains in your garden available from camden books not cheap but the best book on building 16mm engines

laser cuts are available from model engineers laser

peter

Brian G21/03/2019 19:21:41
481 forum posts
9 photos

There are drawings available through the 16mm association, either on the website (2' gauge unless you scale up to 7/8" which is now a popular option) or by buying back numbers of 16mm today (which has a number of dual gauge designs).

Brian

OldMetaller22/03/2019 07:36:50
148 forum posts
14 photos

Mike, another option could be the Gauge 1 Association's publications- 'Gimra' is worth a look, I have the book and the engineering described is to a high standard. You could make their wheels, frames and valve gear, then make your own design of G scale body.

John.

Mike B23/03/2019 21:39:01
3 forum posts

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions, very much appreciated

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest