Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Until July 27th

Viceroy lathe

Can a Boxford turret be fitted

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
William Hulme20/03/2019 10:27:13
14 forum posts

I have a 1960 Viceroy 5in lathe model TDS1/1, I have been offered a 6 pos Quick change auto indexing turret made for a 4 1/2in Boxford. Is it a practical proposition to adapt it to my lathe.ie will it be compatible with the "V" profile,will the centres be in line and will the indexing pivot allow a precision made 1/2 in packer to be fitted ?

Phil Whitley20/03/2019 10:56:47
839 forum posts
105 photos

If you read the Denford/Boxford info on www.lathes.co.uk, you may get a clue, the Viceroy, and the Boxford were I believe, both made by Denford Machine tools, the Boxford after they moved to Box Mill. Hope this helps.

Phil

William Hulme23/03/2019 08:10:40
14 forum posts

Thanks Phil, your info was helpful, I just need a reply from someone with a turret head to tell me if a spacer placed under the tooling head to raise the centre height will defeat the indexing action.

Clive Foster23/03/2019 10:36:56
1745 forum posts
52 photos

Mechanics are all underneath so basic function will be OK. Locking stud will probably need extending.

Assuming the Vee fits ok and you are able to get the base sitting level on the bed centre line alignment will be the major issue. As the base doesn't move spacing or machining the flat side to get it level will be straightforward. If the centre-line is out you will need to make a new turret with suitably offset bores. Which will also take care of the height issue. Offset bores may look a bit odd but it will still work fine. Finish bore in situ to make certain all is aligned.

Never measured one but I always had the impression that the Denford bed was a bit wider than the Boxford one.  Might be an illusion due to the Denford styling being a bit "chunkier".

Clive

Edited By Clive Foster on 23/03/2019 10:55:03

William Hulme23/03/2019 23:48:53
14 forum posts

Thank you Clive, I now have all the details needed to begin purchase negotiations and more importantly the feasability of the project.

John Reese25/03/2019 01:48:17
746 forum posts

Have fun. I adapted a Hardinge turret to a South Bend 10K. I did a lot of measuring and made a detailed CAD drawing based on those measurements. It didn't fit quite right. A lot of time trimming and shimming to grt it right.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest