Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Vertical Boiler - blower?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
mick H14/03/2019 09:26:44
658 forum posts
19 photos

Am I going over the top fitting a blower to the vertical boiler I am building? I don't recall ever seeing one elsewhere or on plans.

Mick

fizzy14/03/2019 09:38:46
1552 forum posts
104 photos

all depends on what your firing it with - gas=no, coal=definately. Ive never seen any coal fired boiler without one...and ive made and seen a few.

mick H14/03/2019 10:22:47
658 forum posts
19 photos

Thanks Fizzy. It is gas fired. It comes up to steam well with an external steam raiser down the smokestack but the fire (ceramic burner) can be a bit sluggish when there is no exhaust from the motor to gee things up a bit. I suspect also that there is incomplete combustion judging by the smell when the motor is not running. When the motor is running I could not ask more from this littIe boiler which is only 2.5 in in diameter. have had the same experience with gas fired loco.

Mick

GordonH14/03/2019 16:47:09
8 forum posts
1 photos

If you need the fan to get a decent flame and without it you suspect incomplete combustion, I'd suspect you may have insufficient air supply to the burner, or insufficient chimney area.

Gordon

Howard Lewis14/03/2019 17:15:18
1761 forum posts
2 photos

As well as ensuring that there is adequate air supply to the burner,and chimney area, is the chimney long enough?

With the other mods, a slightly longer chimney may encourage a better draught of air through the burner.

Howard

fizzy14/03/2019 19:53:49
1552 forum posts
104 photos

Incomplete combustion is something we see with small burners, just put a CO meter near one, be they ceramic, mesh or brass. All three have different burn characteristics. I use solid brass in my commercially availible boilers as they produce the most heat, they are quiet fierce compared to ceramic. I only use ceramic in the twin flue 5" boiler as their sublime nature makes for much easier firing of both flues at the same time. A well designed burner needs no chimney as all of the combustion products are supplied from outside the burner. You will see slits in the sides of PSB burners but these have absolutely nothing to do with the combustion process. Invariably if you have your gas mix too rich a blue flame will be seen where it exits the chimney - check with lights off as it can be difficult to see. Whilst a more stable flame is seen when a chimney is present I can produce effective boilers without a chimney. An option is to have the steam return plumbed into the chimney but this is for authenticity rather than efficiency and i have not noticed any improvment in output.. My advice is...run exit steam through chimney but there should be no reason to add a stand alone blower, especially in a boiler so small.

mick H14/03/2019 21:36:49
658 forum posts
19 photos

Thanks for the interest gents. I do run the exit steam up the chimney and everything goes well when I do so. It is when I stop the motor and there is no exit steam going up the chimney that I have noticed that the fire seems to burn less enthusiastically. On a loco. it is at this point that I use the blower to stimulate the fire until the steam to the pistons is turned on again whereupon the blower is turned off. I only use the steam raising fan when first starting the boiler from cold. Primary air enters through the holes in the No.5 gas jet tube and there is plenty of secondary air available to the burner which burns with a stable blue flame. I am overall very pleased with the situation but just wondered whether results would be worth the effort of including a blower for use when the motor is turned off. It may be that reducing the gas supply when the motor is turned off will achieve the same thing.

Mick

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest