Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Best saw to cut uPVC fascias?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
choochoo_baloo12/03/2019 23:59:09
164 forum posts
20 photos

Hello all.

Please advise on the best hand saw to cut uPVC fascias. I assumed I could buy a suitable toot pitch blade for my circular saw (I need to cut an angle along a ~3m piece, to match the roof pitch).

However on reflection, I think a hand saw is the safer option.

Thanks in advance.

AJW13/03/2019 00:25:58
250 forum posts
117 photos

I fitted uvpc fascia boards, solid type and used standard handsaw, it cuts well and I secured it with stainless steel screws and then applied white silicone rubber in the heads as I wasn't keen on those plastic headed nails sold for fixing.

Alan

Clive Foster13/03/2019 00:49:12
1596 forum posts
45 photos

Sharp, fine tooth hardpoint saw does the job well. Given how cheap the things are from the usual DIY suppliers its well worth buying new if yours has been around for a while. Fine tooth gives better control on breakthrough but the coarse tooth one does well enough if you support both sides..

Best tool I've seen for trimming down along a length is the 18 V battery Makita circular saw with the thinnest blade. Builder who helped me with a job last year had one and it did a super job. He really rates the thin blade but said it doesn't fit a normal circular saw. Having seen that one in action I'd buy one tomorrow despite the price if I didn't already have a decent Hitachi mains powered one that will almost certainly see me out. Don't advise trying a normal circular saw or even the small plunge saws. Can be done but its easy to end up with a spectacular mess. I did get good results with my small plunge saw after "some practice" on the stash of offcuts left from the main extension job.

The half circle blade in a multi-tool does a decent job but its slow and the swarf very fine making it four times as as pestiferous as the usual stuff.

Clive.

JasonB13/03/2019 07:10:03
14864 forum posts
1492 photos

Fine pitch hardpoint as said above will have no problems with it.

I don't change blades in my table, sliding compound or cordless circular saw when I use any of those on uPVC so whatever you have in your saw should be OK unless its blunt. If using power saws cut from the back so you don't risk chipping the edge unless using a downcut blade in a jig saw.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest