Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Soba rotary table

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Howard Lewis10/05/2020 15:18:28
3815 forum posts
3 photos

Having locked the fingers on the Division Plate on my Rotary table, to the correct number of holes, I insert a small pin in a hole on the other side of the "downstream" finger, so that if I catch it with the spring loaded peg in the handle, the finger does not move out of position.

Not my idea, someone else thought of it first using a turned down golf tee.

Howard

JasonB10/05/2020 15:26:15
19177 forum posts
2107 photos
1 articles

The ARC one has a latch, putt and give the handle a 1/4 turn and that locks the pin in the retracted position

Howard Lewis10/05/2020 15:35:39
3815 forum posts
3 photos

So has my Vertex HV6, but does not prevent my poor working methods! Hence my limit pin!, to try to idiot proof things!

Howard

Clive Brown 110/05/2020 15:43:46
541 forum posts
18 photos
Posted by Howard Lewis on 10/05/2020 15:18:28:

Posted by JasonB on 10/05/2020 15:26;15:

The ARC one has a latch, putt and give the handle a 1/4 turn

We seem to be getting a golf theme here smiley

old mart10/05/2020 16:59:51
2251 forum posts
165 photos

I bought a 6" vertical and horizontal table which looks identical to Ron Laden's photographs. It was in as new condition and cheaper than the new Soba price by quite a lot. I noticed a lot of radial play in the head and took it to bits to find out why. The centre bearing was a needle roller which was the source of the play. I removed it and made a bush out of the neck of an aluminium high pressure bottle for helicopter flotation bags. That took care of the play, as I couldn't see why a needle bearing was needed on something which rotates so slowly. The needle bearing betrayed the origin of the table by having "Made in India" on it. The base to top of the table were nicely parallel, but the vertical position was not at right angles, so it got a skim on the mill. Some useful mods I made to it were to increase the depth of the clamping slot on the vertical side to make bolting down easier when horizontal, and to drill and tap a couple of holes in the base to bolt on a small angle plate to increase the stability and clamp tight when in the vertical position. Also, the four slotted top which is easy for mounting a front mount four jaw chuck has been drilled and tapped to take a front mount 5" Pratt chuck directly. There is just enough play in the three SHCS to use a MT2 test bar in the central socket with the chuck jaws clamped on it to get it aligned within 0.001" before tightening the screws.

Edited By old mart on 10/05/2020 17:09:03

BOB BLACKSHAW12/05/2020 10:47:41
373 forum posts
79 photos

Question about the 5 inch Soba rotary table. My hand wheel seemed a bit slack so decided to adjust by instruction on the service manual. I have now got rid of the slack and feels better, but the grub screw on the side that's 90 deg to the worm lock tee screw what is this for. I screwed it in and lost the grub screw in the mechanism but luckily it was still held on to the allen key so I could unscrew it, but it doesn't seem to do anything. as its not shown or explained what its for. Also the instructions show a diagram with a screw A and B with a steel ball, I cant find a steel ball on my rotary table. Sorry if I'm a bit thick but if I'm show something I've got it but reading these instructions has got me confused, Why also is the clamping on the table can take 12mm bolt but give 8mm bolts there seems a lot of space I would of thought 8mm plus slots would have been better, and on the side of the rotary table there is not enough space for a 12mm nut  if you wanted to have one as only enough room for half a nut, same with the tailstock slot to take 12mm. I understand that its cheap but with a bit of thought and no expense on manufacture it could of been made better.

Bob

Edited By BOB BLACKSHAW on 12/05/2020 10:59:14

Neil Wyatt12/05/2020 13:44:26
18326 forum posts
718 photos
77 articles
Posted by Clive Brown 1 on 10/05/2020 15:43:46:
Posted by Howard Lewis on 10/05/2020 15:18:28:

Posted by JasonB on 10/05/2020 15:26;15:

The ARC one has a latch, putt and give the handle a 1/4 turn

We seem to be getting a golf theme here smiley

I started of with a hole in one, but was completely confused after I spent some time stuck at th 19th hole.

Neil

Ron Laden12/05/2020 14:34:20
2020 forum posts
406 photos
Posted by BOB BLACKSHAW on 12/05/2020 10:47:41:

Question about the 5 inch Soba rotary table. My hand wheel seemed a bit slack so decided to adjust by instruction on the service manual. I have now got rid of the slack and feels better, but the grub screw on the side that's 90 deg to the worm lock tee screw what is this for. I screwed it in and lost the grub screw in the mechanism but luckily it was still held on to the allen key so I could unscrew it, but it doesn't seem to do anything. as its not shown or explained what its for. Also the instructions show a diagram with a screw A and B with a steel ball, I cant find a steel ball on my rotary table. Sorry if I'm a bit thick but if I'm show something I've got it but reading these instructions has got me confused, Why also is the clamping on the table can take 12mm bolt but give 8mm bolts there seems a lot of space I would of thought 8mm plus slots would have been better, and on the side of the rotary table there is not enough space for a 12mm nut if you wanted to have one as only enough room for half a nut, same with the tailstock slot to take 12mm. I understand that its cheap but with a bit of thought and no expense on manufacture it could of been made better.

Bob

Edited By BOB BLACKSHAW on 12/05/2020 10:59:14

I can only go by my table Bob but I think you have the same model as me.

If you measure the T slots on the table they are 10.8mm wide and the supplied T nuts have a threaded shoulder which is 10.3mm diameter so there is only 0.5mm overall clearance in the slot when the T nuts pull up on tightening, this also centres the M8 stud.

Also the steel ball you say is missing is between grub screw A and grub screw B and is a protector/lock for the inner screw B. Inner screw B adjust the mesh of the worm gear, so to adjust B you have to remove screw A and the ball, adjust and then refit ball and screw A. Its all shown in a diagram and there is an explanation of how to adjust.

p.s. If you screwed the grub screw A all the way through the hole then that would mean screw B and the steel ball are missing..?

Edited By Ron Laden on 12/05/2020 14:49:11

Sakura12/05/2020 18:00:20
46 forum posts
1 photos

I have got two HV6 rotary tables. Both probably 20/25 years old. One is a Vertex and the other is a Criterion. The Criterion is to the usual Taiwanese pattern. A search on the Internet shows Criterion to be a quality manufacturer in larger sizes but this one is not of that type. Anybody with more info on Criterion?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest