Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

WM180 Replacement Cross Slide

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Carruthers28/02/2019 14:08:32
249 forum posts
23 photos

I am considering replacing the Cross Slide on my WM180 in part to increase the lathe versatility but also to give myself a decent project

I've read Neil's foray and taken note though I have lost the link to his post, also seen these:

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/cross-slide-extended-travel.html

http://andysmachines.weebly.com/extended-cross-slide-travel.html

My question is whether T slots or Dovetails would be best for securing the Compound and other accessories ie Ball Turner, Rear Cut-off tool

SillyOldDuffer28/02/2019 14:46:07
4540 forum posts
972 photos

I wouldn't bother with dovetails in this application because they're a lot of fuss for no obvious advantage. T-slots and easy to make T-nuts are fine for clamping accessories to a table. You don't need the sliding precision of dovetailed parts for mounting ball-turners etc. on a cross-slide.

Simple is usually best. (But not too simple!)

Dave

JasonB28/02/2019 15:28:08
15788 forum posts
1663 photos
1 articles

Tee slots.

Have you seen Ron's recent thread on the one he made for his mini-lathe?

Neil Wyatt28/02/2019 15:28:34
16293 forum posts
681 photos
74 articles

Voice of experience - I would use much smaller t-slots second time around.

I matched the slots to my mill, but they are well oversize those on the SC4 are rather smaller and better proportioned - 10mm for M8 screws, I think.

Neil

John Haine28/02/2019 17:51:09
2577 forum posts
133 photos

Dovetails would be a right pain. Tee slots and nuts are much more versatile, you don't want to have to cut a dovetail when you have to mount a new accessory. I don't think I've ever seen a dovetail used on a machine table other than for the sliding surfaces. Actually, it would also be much weaker than a tee slot.

Andy Carruthers01/03/2019 06:52:13
249 forum posts
23 photos

@Jason - I have just read Ron's thread, thanks for highlighting this

I appreciate the feedback, thanks to all, plenty to think on

Bernard Greatrix04/03/2019 16:20:36
22 forum posts
4 photos

Can someone give a link to "Ron's recent thread" - ditto "Neils Foray"

I also have a WM180 and would like to extend the cross feed travel. One of my sticking points is the left-hand thread. I haven't successfully managed it despite running in reverse with the lathe tool upside down.

regards

Bernard

JasonB04/03/2019 16:34:59
15788 forum posts
1663 photos
1 articles

Neil's and Ron's

Frances IoM04/03/2019 16:39:06
623 forum posts
22 photos
you can't cut LH threads on a WM180 unless you can manage to squeeze an extra gear into the somewhat length restricted gear train. There is at least one description of adding a tumbler but the design of the WM180 was changed (cost reduced?) in later models and don't think it will fit new models.
Bernard Greatrix04/03/2019 17:01:37
22 forum posts
4 photos

Again thanks Jason - I'll read them when I've a little more time. SWMBO wants some jobs done before it gets dark

Frances - The WM180 manual says that left hand threads are not possible. That is certainly true for an unmodified lathe.

However I reasoned that if I used a lathe tool upside down and ran the lathe in reverse I might succeed - I didn't by the way - all I got for my troubles was a metallic version of a bottle brush as it didn't cut at all cleanly.

I shall have to investigate making a new banjo arm to add an extra gear. Then I can cut a new cross-slide screw. Then I can mount a VMS and I can mill the item I set out to make in the first place.

regards

Bernard

Frances IoM04/03/2019 17:15:59
623 forum posts
22 photos
Bernard even trying to cut in reverse can't give you a LH thread as you need to reverse the sense of the geared coupling between chuck and leadscrew
Bernard Greatrix04/03/2019 17:22:35
22 forum posts
4 photos

Yep - as I said I didn't succeed

Neil Lickfold04/03/2019 18:01:44
557 forum posts
102 photos

When I made my Myford 0.5mm pitch cross scre wand nut, I just used the normal RH tap , and screwcut the thread with a traveling steady rest.

It does need to turn the opposite , I it is no biggie. You just have to remember which way is feed out.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 2019
Advertise With Us
ChesterUK
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest