Forum sponsored by Allendale May 23

Flott TB13 STW Electrics

Power supply replacement for DC motor

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter F19/02/2019 14:28:16
98 forum posts
23 photos

I've got a Flott TB13 STW Drill press from the 80's, the motor works fine but the electrical components are well aged, temperamental and imo beyond help, as an electrical incompetent I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this would be a suitable replacement to power the motor, it has a 700w DC motor https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-220V-Input-DC-0-220V-Output-Speed-Controller-Motor-1200W-10-65-HHD6-G/183574495849?epid=2181750644&hash=item2abde48269:g:RakAAOSwXi9cGbTX:rk:2f:0

Thanks.

John Haine19/02/2019 16:07:21
2458 forum posts
132 photos

It would help if you could be a bit more specific as to what the problems are and why you think it is beyond help. It could for example simply be that it needs a new speed control potentiometer if it is "temperamental" - that implies that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Yes that controller might do the job, looks the right sort of rating. Note that it has provision to drive a field winding which you might or might not need on the machine motor.

Symptoms plus a couple of photos of the inside would help, it looks like a nice machine and well worth preserving.

Peter F19/02/2019 17:00:51
98 forum posts
23 photos
Posted by John Haine on 19/02/2019 16:07:21:

It would help if you could be a bit more specific as to what the problems are and why you think it is beyond help. It could for example simply be that it needs a new speed control potentiometer if it is "temperamental" - that implies that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Yes that controller might do the job, looks the right sort of rating. Note that it has provision to drive a field winding which you might or might not need on the machine motor.

Symptoms plus a couple of photos of the inside would help, it looks like a nice machine and well worth preserving.

Ok, the motor would sometimes start, sometimes not, then the what seemed like the on off switch popped and tripped the fuse box, apart the that all the connections on the circuit board are kinda loose and brittle, and just looks like things are going to start falling apart soon, which is why for the sake of £20 I'd replace it if possible.

John Haine19/02/2019 17:50:54
2458 forum posts
132 photos

OK, sounds sensible then. Probably the existing controller is a thyristor or triac type, similar to the eBay one. The eBay controller is probably floating so you need to take care when installing it, and check that the original design does not assume the controller is grounded. On that controller, you'll see that one end of the potentiometer is labelled GND but I suspect that this should NOT be connected to mains ground, it just means the common end of the pot. As I said, some photos of the current device showing the wiring, terminal blocks etc would be useful. Given your professed competence in electrical matters, it would be well to get someone who knows more about electrics to have a look!

Peter F19/02/2019 20:24:57
98 forum posts
23 photos

img_20190219_201352.jpgimg_20190219_201257.jpgOK, here's a few photosimg_20190219_201130.jpg

John Haine20/02/2019 09:24:06
2458 forum posts
132 photos

Thanks. The German words "metallteile der electronik führen spannung" mean "metal parts of the electronik carry voltage" - as I suspected the controller floats at mains voltage. It also looks like there are a few ICs on it so quite complex, it probably has a speed regulation function as well as control, to keep the speed constant under load. I'm not sure if the eBay controller will have this - on my little CNC mill I use a KB Electronics controller which does.

John Rudd20/02/2019 11:35:15
1364 forum posts
58 photos

The KB Electronics speed controller has a few features, current overload protection, Acc/Decel ramp adjustment, as well as motor current feedback.

Well worth the money if you buy one and far superior to the Ebay offerings

Peter F20/02/2019 23:56:24
98 forum posts
23 photos

Could you give a link to a suitable KB Electronics speed controller? I'd be willing to spend a bit more if it means it's done right.

Peter F21/02/2019 00:05:46
98 forum posts
23 photos

Although I do have a few new treadmill motors which would swap with the original very easily, I could put a reverse mode on that so it could be used for tapping as well, and keep the motor as a spare, as I actually picked up 2 of these Flott TB13 stw's, the other looks in much better condition inside, this one has various wires soldered into place, looks like someone was quite rough with it while repairing something in past,

Thank you for your input it is appreciated.

John Haine21/02/2019 07:28:45
2458 forum posts
132 photos

**LINK**.

That's the U.K. Stockist and the version that on a quick look seems best for your motor. I've sent you a PM.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest