Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale May 23

New coffee maker - disgusting taste!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike Poole16/02/2019 10:53:48
1922 forum posts
46 photos

The London end of our private microlink was on the roof of Marathon Oil HQ on Marylebone Road, they got a new bean to cup free vend coffee machine which had a dial marked 1-25, my friend Pete assumed it was for strength and selected 25, the machine proceeded to dispense 25 cups of coffeelaugh

Mike

Russell Eberhardt16/02/2019 11:19:54
2443 forum posts
83 photos
Posted by Mick B1 on 16/02/2019 09:54:31:

But it's not the only bottle useful for demonstrating fractal infinity - as a kid I used to gaze at the cat-and-bottle sequence on my parents' Dubonnet label:-

Ah, Dubonnet - still made about 10 km from here: **LINK**

Russell

Neil Wyatt16/02/2019 12:19:15
15947 forum posts
674 photos
73 articles
Posted by Rik Shaw on 15/02/2019 10:15:46:

They had stopped using bromide in service tea by the time I joined as a regular in 1964. I know it was never used in our cookhouse. The tea still tasted foul though because they used tinned evaporated milk instead of fresh milk - uuuccckkk !!

We often had to brew our own tea when away from the barracks and here I was introduced to Fussels condensed milk which had a much more acceptable taste in tea provided you could stomach the sweetness

I once visited an elderly lady whose house was straight out of the 40s/50s. She had no milk in so she made us tea with condensed milk and the experience was complete.

Neil

not done it yet16/02/2019 13:15:39
2899 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by Bazyle on 16/02/2019 10:15:03:

It's amazing that Camp is still around in this fast moving world of brand names being bought, sold and adulterated. Does it still taste the same (I didn't like it 50 years ago and haven't tried since). HP source was Americanised about 30 years ago and has never been the same quality.

Perhaps similar, but when they changed to plastic bottles they hiked the price by reducing the solids by quite a lot (near 25%?) with a corresponding increase in water content. I used to drink it, up until then. It was only of about 4% coffee content, before they spoilt it. It will no longer store as long, once the bottle is opened, I expect.

Martin Hamilton 116/02/2019 13:39:40
87 forum posts

You will all be reminiscing about Smedleys tinned sausage rolls soon, who remembers them from the 1950's or 1960's. Where you opened the tin at both ends & pushed out 6 or 8 sausage rolls that were rolled together, separated them onto a baking tray & in the oven to cook. Came out the oven piping hot with a delicious flaky pastry, what a treat they were.

duncan webster16/02/2019 13:45:55
2068 forum posts
30 photos
Posted by Martin Hamilton 1 on 16/02/2019 13:39:40:

You will all be reminiscing about Smedleys tinned sausage rolls soon, who remembers them from the 1950's or 1960's. Where you opened the tin at both ends & pushed out 6 or 8 sausage rolls that were rolled together, separated them onto a baking tray & in the oven to cook. Came out the oven piping hot with a delicious flaky pastry, what a treat they were.

Fray Bentos tinned steak pies were a godsend to me as a teenager going off caving and railway volunteering, bung it in the oven, peel and boil some spuds can't go wrong! This period of my life led to the universal recipe, if it's meat fry it, if not boil it. Kept me going for years until I got married.

Watford16/02/2019 15:16:19
96 forum posts
8 photos

What ever happened to Lyons Individual Fruit Pies?

Square and singly boxed.

Mike

Edited By Watford on 16/02/2019 15:17:07

Clive India16/02/2019 15:31:21
171 forum posts
Posted by Watford on 16/02/2019 15:16:19:
What ever happened to Lyons Individual Fruit Pies?
Square and singly boxed. Mike

Have to confess Mike, I ate them all. What happened to Lyons anyway?

Posted by duncan webster on 16/02/2019 13:45:55:

Fray Bentos tinned steak pies were a godsend to me as a teenager going off caving and railway volunteering, bung it in the oven, peel and boil some spuds can't go wrong! This period of my life led to the universal recipe, if it's meat fry it, if not boil it. Kept me going for years until I got married.

You can still get them Duncan - but Mr/Mrs Trendy can't open them.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6275631/fray-bentos-pie-tins-change-cant-open/

You might have to scroll down a bit - not much chance of them becoming model engineers?

Edited By Clive India on 16/02/2019 15:39:47

Mick B116/02/2019 16:54:07
1023 forum posts
58 photos

Fray Bentos canned pies have been a disappointment just lately - just gravy and veg under a crust. I think someones done a cost-reduction exercise. Not bought any for a year or more now.

Peter Bell16/02/2019 17:28:57
270 forum posts
131 photos

Canned pies may be rubbish but the tins are really ace for putting nuts and bolts in when you dismantle anything!

Peter

not done it yet16/02/2019 17:50:17
2899 forum posts
11 photos

Are these youngsters, weak wimps or do they only buy can openers which are only non-descript chinese metal pressings held together with a pop rivet? My wife finds it difficult to wind the tin opener, but I’ve never had a FB version that would not open - some cheap trashy copies might be difficult.

Same as their corned beef. I cannot remember the last time I had any difficulty opening one of them. Sooo eeesy if you remove the label (or most of it) before winding the ‘key’.

Martin Harris 916/02/2019 19:19:03
13 forum posts
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 14/02/2019 21:49:51:Tea is sensitive to the type of water it's made from. Originally Yorkshire Tea was formulated to suit hard Yorkshire water, but now its sold in soft water areas as well. I'm not certain the Yorkshire Tea I buy in Somerset is identical to the Yorkshire Tea sold in Yorkshire! For the same reason, US Lipton may not be quite the same as UK Lipton.

I don't know which side of the Tees-Exe line you live and what your water is like but Yorkshire definitely doesn't have hard water - at least the bit where my sister lives - I tried to buy some de-scaler near Halifax and they'd never even heard of it!

It's all academic anyway - I can't stand tea - that flat, soft, time-wasting opium of the masses which Bond loathed and despised to quote Ian Fleming's Thunderball...the Brooke Bond 007 inspired adverts always gave me a wry smile...

I'm with Clive Hartland as a confirmed coffee drinker - in my case unsullied by milk or sugar.  Just one question Clive - when you blended half and half of no 3 and no 5, wouldn't it have been easier to buy a pack of no 4?

Edited By Martin Harris 9 on 16/02/2019 19:27:14

Frances IoM16/02/2019 19:51:45
596 forum posts
22 photos
I drink Kenyan - can be a delicate taste - suspect the mix of roasts has just enough bite from the high roast not to overpower the more delicate low roast which might well be destroyed by a No 4 roast - the local roaster to me was lost years ago - now its either Sainsbury's beans/grind or the somewhat higher roast Waitrose which IMO is not as good.
Neil Wyatt16/02/2019 20:11:39
15947 forum posts
674 photos
73 articles
Posted by duncan webster on 16/02/2019 13:45:55:
Posted by Martin Hamilton 1 on 16/02/2019 13:39:40:

My favourite camping food was a Vesta dried curry!

Neil

Neil Wyatt16/02/2019 20:15:45
15947 forum posts
674 photos
73 articles
Posted by Martin Harris 9 on 16/02/2019 19:19:03:
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 14/02/2019 21:49:51:Tea is sensitive to the type of water it's made from. Originally Yorkshire Tea was formulated to suit hard Yorkshire water, but now its sold in soft water areas as well. I'm not certain the Yorkshire Tea I buy in Somerset is identical to the Yorkshire Tea sold in Yorkshire! For the same reason, US Lipton may not be quite the same as UK Lipton.

I don't know which side of the Tees-Exe line you live and what your water is like but Yorkshire definitely doesn't have hard water - at least the bit where my sister lives - I tried to buy some de-scaler near Halifax and they'd never even heard of it!

Yorkshire Tea do a hard water blend in green boxes.

Obviously availability does relate to the local water!

Neil

Martin Harris 916/02/2019 20:33:21
13 forum posts
Posted by Frances IoM on 16/02/2019 19:51:45:
I drink Kenyan - can be a delicate taste - suspect the mix of roasts has just enough bite from the high roast not to overpower the more delicate low roast which might well be destroyed by a No 4 roast - the local roaster to me was lost years ago - now its either Sainsbury's beans/grind or the somewhat higher roast Waitrose which IMO is not as good.

Your taste might be for more subtle flavours but if anyone enjoys a full bodied coffee with some bite, you could risk a very small amount of money on Aldi's Italian blend which I particularly enjoy. It compares with far more expensive coffees and is consistently good.

Mick B116/02/2019 21:56:48
1023 forum posts
58 photos
Posted by Frances IoM on 16/02/2019 19:51:45:

My father brought me up on Chagga AA from Tanzania. I've found the Sainsbury's Original Blend bean is not half bad as a standard coffee.

Clive Hartland16/02/2019 23:02:43
2432 forum posts
40 photos

To Martin, the coffee in Kenya was strictly controlled in the number of trees that a landowner could grow. My neighbour was allowed 22 trees only which just about satisfied his requirements.. Even then he took the beans to the central roasting place and asked for a certain length of roast.

Further to this is the type of coffee tree, They develop different types and they are given numbers, I remember no. 22.This because some trees are grown at higher altitude making a smaller harder bean. The red Murram soil also had an effect on the taste.

The different beans were roasted at a set time and this gave the mild taste or a much more sharper taste Also depended on the type of grind so maybe no.3 and no.5 were fine and a coarser blend. This blend was one which suited the taste of myself and wife. we just followed a friends reccomendation.

I recently had a question from a friend who resides in Tonga about roasting beans, Trouble is he has no resources to make a roaster but then it all became academic as the Hurricane a few weeks later ripped all the trees out. He lost everything, mangos, coffee, coconuts etc and had to start all over again. By the way he only had one coffee tree.

Clive Hartland16/02/2019 23:05:11
2432 forum posts
40 photos

One thing I have never understood is drinking coffee made from beans that have passed through an animal and then roasted and ground. This coffee fetching a very high price!

duncan webster16/02/2019 23:52:55
2068 forum posts
30 photos
P

My favourite camping food was a Vesta dried curry!

Neil

Otherwise know as redimix because if you didn't wash up straight away it set like concrete. And you needed 2 packets per person if you'd been doing anything strenuous

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest