Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

One off castings

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Gilligan10/02/2019 09:50:58
12784 forum posts
554 photos
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 10/02/2019 09:13:24:

... Manor Foundry in Ilkeston were very helpful and I shall be using them in the near future.

Thanks Nick ... 'very helpful' is a good start, and the website certainly looks the part.

Duly bookmarked: **LINK**

MichaelG.

Neil Wyatt10/02/2019 15:41:41
15707 forum posts
659 photos
73 articles
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 10/02/2019 09:13:24:

While I have only spoken to them over the phone and not yet used them, Manor Foundry in Ilkeston were very helpful and I shall be using them in the near future. Quote "We do a lot of work for model engineers"

But only the ones who can pronounce Ilkeston properly? devil

Not too far away from me, actually.

Neil

Nick Clarke 310/02/2019 17:01:38
201 forum posts
3 photos

But who would know where Il'son was??

Years ago, as a trainee, I stood in for the manager of Halfords there for a couple of months - I think the shop was at the bottom of Bath Street, next to the Post Office - it has taken me nearly a lifetime for it to wear off!!

AndyA11/02/2019 10:01:06
36 forum posts
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 09/02/2019 21:22:09:

If someone uses a good foundry that will do one-off castings for a reasonable (but not unrealistic) price for hobbyists, it would be great if they could (1) check with them that they are happy to be more widely known (it's not unusual for places to help hobbyists but be reluctant to get swamped) and if so (2) share their details here.

Even better, suggest they advertise in MEW!

Neil

When dealing with suppliers I always find I get a better response by expalaining that I'm not looking for a cheap job or something for nothing. Once they know you want a fair job for a fair price I don't have any issues.

Model engineers can be famous for knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing. I remember standing at a suppliers stand one year where someone wanted a gauge glass. The response to the asking price was "How much, I can make one for less than that...' The person was told to go away and make one then. With attitudes like that are we surprised commercial companies don't want to know?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest