Forum sponsored by Allendale May 23

Warco Super Major Mill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Phillip Slattery30/01/2019 17:21:05
3 forum posts

HI Folks,

First post so ill get right too it with a few questions if ye don't mind:

Im interested in buying a Warco Super Major Mill.

Ive used the search function but there is little posts about them and the last one is from 2017. Has any one else purchased one ?

Also Id be interested in peoples thoughts on the Standard or Vario Model. Id like the vario but I just think its more things that can go wrong....

Ian McVickers30/01/2019 20:50:10
105 forum posts
61 photos

I have the GH Universal mill which isn't too much different from its big brother. The mill is generally ok but don't expect it to take any heavy cuts. I'm in the middle of rebuilding the gearbox and quill, on mine and was thinking about doing a few posts on it. Some things I did find which I'm not too impressed about though. Whoever built it decided that circlips make good spacers and the machining for the fit on the drive shaft bottom bearing is crap. The old bearing came out far too easily and the new one literally fell into place and ended up being held with bearing fit. Some of the moving gears have the edges bevelled so that they slide into mesh which definitely isn't one of my favourite's.

So if you remember that your buying a diy/hobby mill then they aren't too bad just don't expect Bridgeport quality.

Michael Gilligan30/01/2019 21:09:05
12942 forum posts
555 photos

Phillip,

First suggestion [assuming that you are currently using the keyword search box at the top of the thread], is to try the much better search tool on the home-page.

MichaelG.

Martin Connelly30/01/2019 22:58:31
840 forum posts
93 photos

Very similar to the Chester Super Lux so search for that as well.

Martin C

FMES31/01/2019 06:30:50
571 forum posts
1 photos

Hello Phillip,

I have the standard model, purchased in 2001 and have had very little trouble with it.

Problems experienced are : breaking gear select levers - they are plastic and snap across the roll pin holes, I have subsequently made new Alloy ones for it, Warco keep replacements.

Second problem, which I put down to fair wear and tear was a blown motor run capacitor: cheap fix from RS.

The machine itself is strong, easy to tram and accurate on the pillar and will happily cut with a 100mm facemill on ally.

For a single phase machine, I find it very capable, with mine not only being used for model engineering but anything that will actually fit on the table.

Regards

Michael Topping31/01/2019 09:01:09
73 forum posts
5 photos

Philip

I have a super major, it is a good mill. Robust and big enough to tackle most jobs.

Problems I have had are similar to FMES, gear change paddle breaking of, but Warco were very quick with a replacement. Motor cap terminals disintegrating and a noisy motor.

I changed my motor to 3 phase with a VFD so I would go with the vario model. The readout on the quill feed is also useful, another mod I did to mine.

Overall I am very happy with the mill, for the price you get a lot of machine which works well out of the box and I have found Warco service to be very good.

Michael

Mick Dobson31/01/2019 12:30:46
15 forum posts
6 photos

I bought a Super Major in 2008 at the Harrogate show. I would say it is a very good machine for the price, which back then was probably better value than it might be at today's rates. I added a DRO to X and Y on the table and Z on the spindle.

One or two problems over the years. The biggest issue I have had is the table traverse gearbox broke up at the engagement mechanism after a few years. I replaced it with a home made system.

The spindle lock lever is a bit flimsy and can spin on the shaft so I machined and welded on a hex piece so that I can lock it with a spanner - much better. The gearbox is a bit noisy, especially at the top speed, just use decent 68 grade hydraulic oil.

My previous mill was a Warco Minor with a round column, so the Super Major with dovetail on the vertical travel is a real bonus.

Phillip Slattery31/01/2019 20:17:04
3 forum posts

Thanks for the replys.

I understand thats its not a bridgeport so Im not expecting Ill be taking huge cuts with it. I will using it for gunsmithing so I think itll fit perfectly in my small workshop.

Thats for the ideas..... I love the 3 ph motor with a VFD !

Jon31/01/2019 20:25:52
988 forum posts
46 photos

Phillip your merely searching for a created brand name 'assembled' for those shops. Theyre all the same order 20 you can have your own name spec and colour, simple all asian.
Without breaking a sweat a few names Chester Lux, Warco GH/Super Major, Grizly, Amadeal, Holzmann, 4 more in US.

Mick my RF 25 was more accurate, RF45 still need tramming or aligning moving heavy head up, dont trust it. Therefore no point.

One thing for sure when a part breaks you better have deep pockets comparatively.

Jon31/01/2019 20:29:14
988 forum posts
46 photos

Phillip, unfortunately from brand new on its last legs i give it 18 months before as good as scrap. Been there done it and was only for roughing springs.

Phillip Slattery02/02/2019 23:46:54
3 forum posts
Posted by Jon on 31/01/2019 20:29:14:

Phillip, unfortunately from brand new on its last legs i give it 18 months before as good as scrap. Been there done it and was only for roughing springs.

Thats something that I worry about..... dont have the space for a bridgeport/clone and pickings can be slim here in ireland

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest