Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale May 23

Mystery Bamford engine

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Pat Bravery29/01/2019 12:44:16
73 forum posts
7 photos

img_0172.jpgimg_0141.jpgHello, I have recently joined a Men in Sheds group at the Wind Energy Museum in N Norfolk and we are restoring old associated machinery amongst which is a Bamford hit & miss stationary engine which has not run for 8 or 9 years. I have checked it over and the compression is good but the name plate is missing so we can't identify the model, can anyone help? I have posted photo's in my album. I have looked at several pictures on the computer and there are very similar engines but the magneto is in a different place. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

not done it yet29/01/2019 15:59:46
2907 forum posts
11 photos

It certainly looks like an odd-ball.

It appears that most of their hit-and-miss engines used an EK trip magneto, while this one has an unnecessary and regular spark every revolution (the crank and magneto sprockets appear to be the same size).

Question might be why run the magneto at twice the necessary speed, although it may not have produced such a powerful spark at slow speed?

Furthermore, the magneto is driven by a duplex chain - unusual to fit such a heavy duty chain for such a light duty.

The magneto type may be able to be traced for age, etc - it looks like a quite late model for the hit and miss era.

Just some ideas for you to follow up. I’m not an expert on hit and miss engines at all.

martin perman29/01/2019 16:26:48
1562 forum posts
66 photos

Pat,

I've sent an email to a mate who collects Bamfords.

Martin P

Howard Lewis29/01/2019 16:41:30
1924 forum posts
2 photos

Swaffham, presumably?

Would have expected the Mag to be gear drive. Most engines of that type seem to be, so maybe a "field fix"?

The WaterWorks Museum in Hereford run a Bamford engine, which seems similar to this one. If you can provide some details, they may be able to help

Hopefully Martin's pal will come up with something definitive, but if all else fails, try contactiTWWM. The volunteers are only in on Tuesdays, so don't expect an immediate response

Howard

martin perman29/01/2019 17:01:46
1562 forum posts
66 photos
Pat,
Below is the answer from my friend. he refers to points being replaced with a spark plug, the points would be inside the head and when they were opened would produce a spark to ignite the fuel. dated 1920's, this link would show you how it would have originally looked, https://www.google.com/search?q=bamford+tulip+top+engine&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjJk-umu5PgAhUnRxUIHX02BVgQsAR6BAgEEAE&biw=1366&bih=664
Martin,
It is a Bamford Tulip Top 2.1/2HP and should be fitted with a Websters low tension system. The trip arm has been removed and the websters mag and low tension points system removed and replaced with a plate and spark plug. All home designed.
Regards
Andy
Pat Bravery29/01/2019 17:59:14
73 forum posts
7 photos

Thank you for the above very helpful information, the museum is at Repps with Bastwick about 10 miles north of Great Yarmouth. I spent many years working on Londons buses and thought that I knew about engines but it seems I have a lot more to learn. All help is appreciated. Regards Pat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest