Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Lathe levelling

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gerry madden23/01/2019 15:20:30
48 forum posts
8 photos

This topic has deviatingly reared its ugly head in another thread. Rather than perpetuate the error I thought I'd start a new one.

My lathe sits on a metal cabinet on top of a carpet It wasn't "level" on first installation so I fixed it down solidly on large 4mm thick washers at three points. Under the forth foot (tailstock front) I inserted a wedging device along with the pull-down bolt.

Now when I want to do some precision parallel turning, I do a quick machining of my test piece. If there is a difference in diameter between the two ends I simply slacken the bolt on the adjustable foot and pull out or tap in the wedge a fraction. I then tighten the bolt and make a final check.

Its so simple and I often wonder why no one else (or manufacturer) does something similar ?

SillyOldDuffer23/01/2019 16:33:06
3985 forum posts
809 photos

It's a good trick, but I feel there are some disadvantages.

Firstly, much depends on the lathe - not all of them are as bendy as others! A Chinese mini-lathe is stiffer than a Myford because it doesn't have a gap. Gap bed lathes are flexible in a good way because they allow bigger work to be squeezed on to the lathe, hurrah. But the gap makes them liable to be flexible in the bad sense too - and usually the more rigid a machine tool the better. A second issue - as Gerry has noticed - is that a deliberately twisted lathe is likely to come out of adjustment, which is undesirable if the machine becomes untrustworthy. Third point is that a correctly installed lathe that's cutting inaccurately probably has something wrong with it, like a worn bed, out-of-true headstock, bent spindle, damaged bearings or duff chuck. It might pay to fix the actual fault rather than hide it by twisting the bed.

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest