Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Mill Spindle Readout

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Clive Brown 120/01/2019 10:27:06
198 forum posts
5 photos

My recently acquired Warco mill has a digital readout on the spindle "Z" movement. It has 5 buttons. Functions of 3 are obvious, on/off; ins/mm and zero. The other 2 have an up arrow and a down arrow beside them. They seem to do nothing to the display. Can anyone tell me what they might be for?

TIA

Clive

Chris Trice20/01/2019 10:55:11
1266 forum posts
5 photos

These are almost certainly used to scroll through the parameter, pro-

gram, and special function menus to get to specific settings or functions.

ega20/01/2019 11:09:22
1067 forum posts
89 photos

I'm guessing that the up and down arrows have to do with absolute and relative functions and, short of asking Warco, suggest you look at the websites of suppliers of these scales to see if you can find a similar device with instructions.

Nigel Taylor 220/01/2019 11:20:50
6 forum posts
3 photos

To set 'zero' to a number other than 0.

-Hold down Zero button until 'S' flashes in display

-Use up and down arrows to set display to desired number.

-Press Zero again to display new zero point.

To reset, follow above steps.

Journeyman20/01/2019 11:25:33
573 forum posts
85 photos

Having just checked the quill DRO on my WM14 the up down arrows do exactly that ie they offset the display. If you hold one of the arrow keys down the display will increment automatically, slow at first and getting faster. It enables you to set a depth and when the scale shows 0 you have arrived at the right level. Really for drilling or counterboring. I don't usually use the quill to put on a cut preferring to use the Z-axis handwheel at the top of the column.

I must admit I have never used this function. If for example doing a counterbore I bring the cutter down with the quill feed until it just touches the surface and zero the readout. Start the mill and downfeed the quill until the readout shows the depth I want. Very straightforward.

John

Edit: Typo

Edited By Journeyman on 20/01/2019 11:34:57

Clive Brown 120/01/2019 12:01:40
198 forum posts
5 photos

Ahh! got it, I'd not tried a long press of the zero. Thanks to all, esp. John, for your replies.

Clive,

john fletcher 120/01/2019 12:56:22
469 forum posts

A long push, this reminds me of trying to programme an inverter several years ago. I tried many time to make the motor reverse, every thing else was OK, but reverse was beyond my ability or so I thought. After much frustrations I phoned the manufacturers, got their technical people and the man said a long push is needed. John

Clive Brown 120/01/2019 13:18:22
198 forum posts
5 photos

Sorry, thanks to Nigel for his explanation.

Clive

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest